BBS02 pre-purchase advice

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
That is some serious battery capacity respect! is that a bbso2 setup? what sort of power are you running and how does it cope with serious hills offroad?
must weigh a bit though?
My max power is around 1150 watts peak.
I can get up a 1 in 6 hill without pedaling if I want to .
I ride all the trails in Hamsterley forest without a problem apart from the fact that I am often going in the opposite direction to everyone else ie uphill!

Thanks for the information, the em3v site seems to be big on the 42t chainwheel due to alignement issues and the chain coming off is that a problem? also do you ever break many chains?
The standard 44T chainwheel gives me perfect alignment and I have never broken a chain.
I use KMC X8 chain.
Remember though that 9 speed and more is a thinner chain which is why I picked an 8 speed bike.
I have never had a dropped chain either ,mainly as I have the front derailleur guide in place.

Reactions: delboy55555

delboy55555

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
I think I'm missing something. Aren't we talking about a BBS02, which should be able to drive a heavy rider up the steepest hills without even pedalling on a 30T rear sprocket?[/QU

30t rear sprocket with what size chaining thought? Hmm I think i'm misssing something..... I am new to this and I'm not sure of how capable the bbso2, no need to be a dick.

delboy55555

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
My max power is around 1150 watts peak.
I can get up a 1 in 6 hill without pedaling if I want to .
I ride all the trails in Hamsterley forest without a problem apart from the fact that I am often going in the opposite direction to everyone else ie uphill!

The standard 44T chainwheel gives me perfect alignment and I have never broken a chain.
I use KMC X8 chain.
Remember though that 9 speed and more is a thinner chain which is why I picked an 8 speed bike.
I have never had a dropped chain either ,mainly as I have the front derailleur guide in place.
Thank you that is very helpful information appreciated.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
I didn't read d8veh's comment as arsey, just that the conversation had veered from the original question.

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
Hi there, I posted here a while ago enquiring about a Bosch bike for my daily commute, but I think I've decided that a Bafang BBS02 750w at 48 volts is the right way for me to go.

I have a reliable and reasonably nice Boardman hardtail MTB that I currently commute on and I want to convert this with the BBS02.

Firstly, what are my buying options? I've been looking at EM3ev in Hong kong and Eclipsebikes in the UK - are there any other retailers I should be looking at?

EM3ev appear to have more options for the buyer and a provide the ability to specify exactly what I want (such as a C963 display), but some options mystify me (low voltage cut and ebrake options - I want to keep my very good hydraulics). Can someone explain? I also imagine import tax could sting me hard?

The last piece of the puzzle is the battery type, size and charger, I'm more than happy to spend the required money here, but I don't want to lug around battery weight that I don't need. My journey in is on road and 7.8 miles with 338 ft of elevation, the journey home is the same distance with 600 ft elevation. So give or take 16 miles a day and 1,000 ft of climbing.

I don't want to have to charge at work, but will consider it if anyone thinks it's a good idea. I want a bit of power so 48 volts is required, but any suggestions for amp hours required? I am frustratingly sometimes fit to ride and sometimes not, so my assistance can't always be relied upon due to health issues.

Finally is there anything else I need to consider?

Many thanks for any assistance provided.
Yes, this would be illegal to ride on the road as a bicycle and you would leave yourself in all sorts of bother should be involved in an accident or be stopped by the boys in blue.
Your commute is not very long or particularly hilly, why not just get a BBS01 kit @ 250W which would be legal and you would still arrive at work without a sweat.

Reactions: trex

delboy55555

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
I didn't read d8veh's comment as arsey, just that the conversation had veered from the original question.
Ok maybe i read it wrong apololgies to dave if that was the case, so easy to misjudge comments on the internet without real life interaction which includes body language and tone of voice!

Reactions: Lardo

davidneedsabike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2015
I too have been reading up on this system and the 9c hub too on that other excellent forum - both seem amazing and so flexible to power input :)