BBSHD. 48 or 52 volt battery?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Building up a bike with a Bafang BBSHD.
Need advice / thoughts on 48 or 52 volt battery. Whichever I chose will be 17 Ah.

An experience on issues using the 52v source ..... reliability, errors etc?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The only potential problem I've heard of, is trying to use a BBSHD, with the 48v firmware, with a 52v battery. Apparently it can throw up an overvolt code.

This issue can be solved by uploading the correct 52v firmware to the controller, which can be done via a programming cable. The same cable that you use to adjust other parameters.

Just make sure, before you buy, that the BBSHD controller firmware and battery is matched for the correct voltage.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Don't get a 52v Hailong type. There's a recent thread on why.
Thanks for the heads up. Not worried about that issue as I always use EM3ev batteries, they use cases to accommodate the 70 cells in 52v, and 65 in 48v 17ah packs.

The question I asked was pro's and cons of using 52v pack on a BBSHD....????

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The only potential problem I've heard of, is trying to use a BBSHD, with the 48v firmware, with a 52v battery. Apparently it can throw up an overvolt code.

This issue can be solved by uploading the correct 52v firmware to the controller, which can be done via a programming cable. The same cable that you use to adjust other parameters.

Just make sure, before you buy, that the BBSHD controller firmware and battery is matched for the correct voltage.
Thanks. Any pro's and con's of using 52 volt pack other than that. UK supplier so assured the controller is 52v working / compatible!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for the heads up. Not worried about that issue as I always use EM3ev batteries, they use cases to accommodate the 70 cells in 52v, and 65 in 48v 17ah packs.
Good solid, reliable batteries. I've got one of their 48v packs and it's pretty damn good.
Thanks. Any pro's and con's of using 52 volt pack other than that. UK supplier so assured the controller is 52v working / compatible!
A tiny bit more top end speed and slightly more efficient, but not a game changer over a 48v pack. Buy one and enjoy!

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Good solid, reliable batteries. I've got one of their 48v packs and it's pretty damn good.

A tiny bit more top end speed and slightly more efficient, but not a game changer over a 48v pack. Buy one and enjoy!
The difference in price between 48 and 52v is about £25......
52v it is!;)

Reactions: Fordulike

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Why not buy everything from Em3ev, then everything will be compatible and set up nicely?
Where's the fun in that?

Reactions: vfr400

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
52 volts will have more Wh than a 48v and a slight increase in top speed too.
I run both with 2 sets of 52v batteries in a crossbar bag and a 48v in a rear rack bag. Each set is plugged in seperately so when one set gets low I unplug and put the next set in.
It gets me 100 miles plus rides with no battery anxiety and if my hips start hurting too much I can get home using the throttle.