BBSHD Pas Sensor

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Hi, have throttle, but no PAS on my BBSHD, guessing the sensor is fried.Have unplugged the speed sensor, 6kph walk function works. Will try reprogramming it tomorrow.Does anyone know where I can get one in the UK please?

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Sorry, more importantly,is there a way I can test whether it has failed. By replacing the magnet on a temp basis to check? Have fixed the throttle not working, but Pas does, just not this way round.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've seen one that broke up, but I think the problem is more likely to be elsewhere. That's why I said be sure of the fault before buying one. Unscrew the controller then check for the pulse on the three-pin connector. First check for 5v on the black and red, then check the pulse on the black and third wire. You have to turn the pedal shaft to get a pulse.

Reactions: Woosh

u1v1w1

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2020
I've seen one that broke up, but I think the problem is more likely to be elsewhere. That's why I said be sure of the fault before buying one. Unscrew the controller then check for the pulse on the three-pin connector. First check for 5v on the black and red, then check the pulse on the black and third wire. You have to turn the pedal shaft to get a pulse.
Also had an intermittent cadence sensor failure on a new BBSHD bought from a local supplier.

Couldn't find any bad solder joints on a hall sensor PCB.

As soon as I opened it up it was working. After putting everything back together it normally works for 5 minutes then stops responding again.

Ended up disabling it completely to avoid unexpected acceleration when forgetting to reduce the PAS level.

Seller said I should check the speed sensor magnet for some reason.

The only mishaps leading to this could be shorting out the controller capacitor resulting in relatively tiny spark when upgrading to XT90 connector and slightly bent main harness plug due to misplaced zip tie (hot weather resulted in reduced attention to detail).

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Also had an intermittent cadence sensor failure on a new BBSHD bought from a local supplier.

Couldn't find any bad solder joints on a hall sensor PCB.

As soon as I opened it up it was working. After putting everything back together it normally works for 5 minutes then stops responding again.

Ended up disabling it completely to avoid unexpected acceleration when forgetting to reduce the PAS level.

Seller said I should check the speed sensor magnet for some reason.

The only mishaps leading to this could be shorting out the controller capacitor resulting in relatively tiny spark when upgrading to XT90 connector and slightly bent main harness plug due to misplaced zip tie (hot weather resulted in reduced attention to detail).
The main cause of intermittent speed sensor is when you have a speed cut-off set. After that, you could have a pin not fully clipped in to the connector on either side. The only other things I can think of is a wire not crimped to its pin properly or the wire broken inside the insulation.

u1v1w1

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2020
The main cause of intermittent speed sensor is when you have a speed cut-off set. After that, you could have a pin not fully clipped in to the connector on either side. The only other things I can think of is a wire not crimped to its pin properly or the wire broken inside the insulation.
Speed sensor is working. It was cadence sensor. Tried to plug and unplug the cadence sensor connector at the controller side but it made no difference.