BBSHD with em3ev battery

bobbyrobson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2018
Hey all,

I'm planning on buying a BBSHD and pairing it with the em3ev 52v 17ah battery from eclipse bikes.

The battery comes with Samsung 35E cells which are rated to 25a, whereas the BBSHD wants 30a on full power.

I'll mostly be using the motor on low pas, so it won't be drawing that many amps all the time, but I would like to use full throttle occasionally for the fun factor!

Do you think this pack a good fit for my needs? I've seen a lot of BBSHDs sold with similar spec, so thought it's a common pairing.

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Simply put no, you need a Sam 25r pack or a cell that is a proper 10 - 20a capable.
HD on full throttle will demand the full 30a, the 35e will sag and suffer short life cycle.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

they can custom build a pack to the spec you want and have warranty but wont be cheap

bobbyrobson

Oct 6, 2018
Ah, I see. My main reason for choosing the em3ev pack was for build quality = safer. As well as being within my budget.
Unfortunately a battery from insat would be too expensive for me.

I was originally looking at a kit from electron cycles, with this battery - here but unsure about the build quality. Or do they make good packs?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's the problem when you want a 30a capable motor, one has to factor in the battery isn't going be a cheap one.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
decent batts are not cheap but there is no way they are using tesla cells they just cant make them fast enough even for there own cars.

x56=504 just for the cells

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try Billy Milburn a forum battery builder also has an ebay presence or did have.
I think on her he goes by the name Billym1967.

Reactions: bobbyrobson

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
I was thinking of the same pack from Eclipse Bikes too. If you limit your BBSHD to 24amps it'd be ok then?

bobbyrobson

Oct 6, 2018
Just out of interest, how many watts would you see with the BBSHD if you limited to 25a?

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
Hey all,

I'm planning on buying a BBSHD and pairing it with the em3ev 52v 17ah battery from eclipse bikes.

The battery comes with Samsung 35E cells which are rated to 25a, whereas the BBSHD wants 30a on full power.

I'll mostly be using the motor on low pas, so it won't be drawing that many amps all the time, but I would like to use full throttle occasionally for the fun factor!

Do you think this pack a good fit for my needs? I've seen a lot of BBSHDs sold with similar spec, so thought it's a common pairing.

Thanks
the 52v BBSHD is 28amps max from the factory.
according to the eclipse website the battery has max continuous of 25amps but a burst rating of 34amps. . unless you're planning on being at max throttle all the time it will be fine.
I have the 52v BBSHD and 2 batteries from eclipse - the 9.8ah one with Samsung 25r cells and the 14ah one with Panasonic pf. they both work fine.

Last edited:

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
the 52v BBSHD is 28amps max from the factory.
according to the eclipse website the battery has max continuous of 25amps but a burst rating of 34amps. . unless you're planning on being at max throttle all the time it will be fine.
I have the 52v BBSHD and 2 batteries from eclipse - the 9.8ah one with Samsung 25r cells and the 14ah one with Panasonic pf. they both work fine.
do you mind me asking what range you get? Thanks

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
do you mind me asking what range you get? Thanks
it's difficult to say - I use the 9.8ah battery the most and full throttle all the time (literally don't pedal)
After my 2.5 mile commute to work it's used about 18% usually.