BBSxx programming cable info

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Received my BBS02 programming cable from EMPowered Cycles yesterday, with a US-UK delivery time of 6 days door to door. That included a weekend and a UK bank holiday. Not bad service at all, and no import fees to pay as the cable is only £23.58 including delivery.

FYI, the cable and software links don't mention anything about compatibility with BBS01 kits, but he only sells BBS02 kits, so there's no reason to advertise BBS01 compatibility.
I don't see why the cable and software wouldn't work with a BBS01, but best check with him first before purchasing.

Matt at EMPowered has been a diamond. When asked if the software would work with Windows 10, he was honest, said he wasn't too sure and asked me to provide feedback if I was successful.

I downloaded the Bafang controller software from the link on his site, which installed fine. The USB-Serial driver on the other hand conflicted with my Norton Internet Security and refused to install the driver. I don't think it's an issue with a virus, just Norton being over sensitive.
Other users may have no problem whatsoever with EMPowered's link, so give it a go first.

Needless to say, there was no way Norton would let me download the driver, so I had to find another solution.

The cable uses a USB-Serial ch340 chipset, which I believe is quite common, so I downloaded a driver from a USB-Serial chipset manufacturer's website. There's plenty out there, so there should be no problem in finding a driver that works

I couldn't find a Windows 10 specific driver, so as I had upgraded from Windows 7, I downloaded their Windows 7 driver.

It worked a treat. After finding out which com port the cable is attached to, it's just a matter of opening up the Bafang sofware, inputting the com port number in the box and clicking connect.

From there you can read your controller's parameters, change and write new configs.

So to clarify, the cable and software works fine with Windows 10, but don't give up if the driver gives you problems. Just search for another and try that :)

Last edited:
Reactions: delboy55555

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
The cable from EMPowered works just fine with the BBS01 kit, my delivery took 5 days !