Be safe... be BIG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a great article beeps, dead right all of it.

I come out well, since I spend loads of time in the middle of a lane taking the same line as cars, often tow my huge trailer, in my urban areas overtake cars at least as often as they overtake me, give dominant hand signals and don't wear loads of broken up colours.

So I add up to way above road warrior! Can't be bad. :)

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
think ive worked it out, tow a trailer painted yellow, be naked but have a police helmet on, and have 10 beers to induce the wobble. there is alot of sense mixed in the article and a lot of things i allready do.
mike

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Like it!!! and a lot of sense. I rate 8 with lights like a Christmas tree, but will get the high vis waistcoat on in future.

Reminds me of when I used to ride my moped from Deal to Dover every day. Single carriageway winding road. Flat out at 32mph (on the flat) I used to sit right in the middle of my lane. Why should I ride in the gutter and find myself three abreast on a bend!! Used to get cars follow for several miles with their hand on the horn, most enjoyable!!

BE BIG :cool:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Great article, I remember reading it a while back but the author has tidied it up a bit since. I especially like the 'POLITE' - there was a chap on CyclingPlus who had some hi-viz jackets made up with the word slapped on the back. Should certainly get you noticed!

For added visibility you can't beat the Dinotte tail light. I still have to peer into it every once in a while just to remind me how retina-burning it is!

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I have a couple of Dinottes at the front and one at the rear, and motorists definitely wait for me at juntions and give me more room when overtaking.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The Times backs bikes

Just posted about a really excellent leader article from the Times. Very pro-cycling indeed and makes good points about road safety. I don't expect we'll see Rupert Murdoch on two wheels any time soon though.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great article Tim, and all the comments at the foot positive too.

Pity it had to exclude those carrying shopping as potential cyclists though. Large panniers can hold four supermarket bags, and a small trailer can hold a family shopping load. I haven't used a car for routine shopping since 1993.