Bearing advice !

shabba007

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2021
Just ordered some new bearings for my freehub on a Carrera Vulan E bike. I've not ordered new bearings before so don't what to expect interms how free they should feel, spin etc, but I've ordered two sets so far and they both feel considerably stiffer than my originals that I need to replace. I'm replacing the bearings as they've become notchy and causing the drain to drop when free wheeling etc.

My original bearings are marked 60012RSHC2 which I couldn't get an exact match for so have tried
2x 60012RSH
2 x 60012RSHC3
Both from simply bearings and both feel quite stiff in comparison to my originals.

Can anyone make any reccomendations please ?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Just ordered some new bearings for my freehub on a Carrera Vulan E bike. I've not ordered new bearings before so don't what to expect interms how free they should feel, spin etc, but I've ordered two sets so far and they both feel considerably stiffer than my originals that I need to replace. I'm replacing the bearings as they've become notchy and causing the drain to drop when free wheeling etc.

My original bearings are marked 60012RSHC2 which I couldn't get an exact match for so have tried
2x 60012RSH
2 x 60012RSHC3
Both from simply bearings and both feel quite stiff in comparison to my originals.

Can anyone make any reccomendations please ?
New bearings will be tighter than old, and the rubber seals will be noticeable when rotating the bearing before fitting. Some friction is inevitable with rubber.

Your C2 means 'tighter clearance than standard' and C3 means looser, so the ones without the C3 are closer to the original.

As has been said before on here, cheap bearings work but they don't last as long, if you want best then buy SKF or another recognised top brand.

I'd just fit what you've got and and learn from what happens next!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have used cheap bearings in my hub motors and they have been fine for two or three years, as they are cheap I renew them anyway as part of my hub servicing routine.

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
Thanks for the advice chaps. In my head I was expecting new bearings to be like 'fidget spinners', but there is little movement but tight as you say. Fortunately I've purchased SFK's so that sounds like a good move. Will fit the 2x 60012RSH and see how I get on.

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
I've since installed the new bearings, but still I'm having a problems with chain slack which is more noticable when i'm in the 9th gear (small cog on rear casette), but not as bad with in 1st gear (large cog on cassette). Could this be looking like a derailleur problem ?
I've upload this bit of a naff video on youtube, but shows the chain slack. The derilleur has been sprayed with wd40 a greased in a few places.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Derailleur looks ok to me it is returning ok, and suspect a chain issue or a worn sprocket teeth.
The chain is snagging either on the derailleur wheels or the small sprocket.

Check the chain for a stiff or bent link (manually check every link for good movement) as it appears to be mainly the highest gear, then the radius of the gear is the smallest.

Measure the chain with a ruler 15 links pin to pin , a new chain is 38.1cm/15 links & acceptable wear is 38.3cm/15 links more then this then put a new chain on.
Imperial is 12 links pin to pin = 12 inches, a worn chain is 12 & 1/16th inches or 1.59mm greater then 12 inches any more then this then the cassette may also need replacing.

Give the chain a clean and the derailleur of any built up gunk.

How about the sprocket is it worn (look at the teeth profile) and and catching on the chain ?
Also check that the spacing between cassette and drop out and that the chain isn't catching on the drop out.

Last edited:

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
Thanks for the tips. Think I've sussed out what the problem is. Looking at this pic i'd say the hanger is bent. Would you agree ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is an alignment issue vertically but to me it looks like the drop out and not the hanger, the top of the drop out is much closer to the chain then at the bottom.
The hanger is only following the line of the drop out alignment vertically.

shabba007

Nov 27, 2021
I got a new hangar anyway as it was slight bent compared to a new one. However the problem is still there, though not as bad. What is the drop out, the actual frame ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, it is the where the wheel axle sits in.
Something doesn't look quite right between the cassette end and the axle nut.