Beijingers get back on their bikes

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
The most expensive model in Mr Zhang's shop is only 2,680 yuan ($390:£260).
Could you imagine the uptake here if this were the case, I know that a lot of Chinese bikes use SLAs for their home market - but still...

I also know about all the other ecconomic differences, but maybe the time has come for a totaly UK manufactured machine, particularly with the £ being so low. The only expensive bit would be the raw materials for the battery, everything else could be completely home grown.

Last edited:

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
The sale of electric bikes has slightly dropped off recently as people wait to see how the government will tackle the problem of how to define one.
Sound familiar?:D

As Beijing car owner Richard Liu put it, cars give a clue to a person's status - the more successful they are, the bigger the car they own.
I would hope that as cars have been ubiquitous for longer, that we have gotten over this here in Europe.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Could you imagine the uptake here if this were the case, I know that a lot of Chinese bikes use SLAs for their home market - but still...
The Chinese bikes are electric scooters which would be illegal in our country but possibly not powerful/safe enough to want to go on the road even with CBT/license/helmet etc.

E-bikes are "supposed" to be limited to 12mph like the UK once was. But in a similar way to their "Amsterdam style" attitude to recreational drugs, until recently the Chinese authorities were not enforcing the law because there wasn't a problem with excessive speed and injury collisions. This has now started to happen, with subsequent clampdowns.