Belfast-based Newbie

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
Hi all

Not much of a cyclist but we hired e-bikes while on holiday and it crossed my mind that that might be a great way to get to work, so I've started the search for the perfect bike. Or at least a good one :)

Work is 6.5 miles away and is all flat - down the towpath beside the river for a bit and then along the shoreline for a couple of miles. That's the hard bit, as there seems to be a headwind in both directions!

I'm really not at all bike savvy so I think I'd be better buying from a shop rather than online. That wee bit of water between here and GB would bump courier costs up if it ever had to go back for repair, under warranty or not.
I have to admit that I've been tempted by the idea of buying a better quality used bike instead of a not-so-good new but there are the usual pitfalls of buying unseen and not having any warranty or support.

I'm hoping to use the cycletowork scheme (and add some of my own cash), which in my company's case is available around Xmas.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick everyone's mind between now and then, and make the right choice!

Bob Smith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2015
Hi Damian,

If you don't need to go up big hills then a hub motor should do the trick, they're usually lower cost and lower maintenance.

Bob

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
Hi Damian,

If you don't need to go up big hills then a hub motor should do the trick, they're usually lower cost and lower maintenance.

Bob
Thanks for the tip Bob.

Low maintenance is important due to my lack of knowledge and experience :)

I was advised that disc brakes are well worth it on e-bikes and will need to be replaced less often than old style ones. I think I'm slowly building up an idea of what I want and what questions I need to ask

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
A E-MTB might be better for you if you are more off road. my folder is not very stable on tow paths or off road.
Bob

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
A E-MTB might be better for you if you are more off road. my folder is not very stable on tow paths or off road.
Bob
Oh, definitely not looking at a folding bike. There's just something about hem that doesn't appeal.
I've visited one shop (Full Cycle) and they do Freego. The Raptor wasn't as comfortable as the Hawk or Eagle, although it looked like a nice bike. I liked the shop though :)

McConvey Cycles are getting in some Giant bikes soon. I'll check those out, although price will be starting to be a factor there I think.

After that it'll be Halfords and Chain Reaction. I'm not yet that comfortable knowing which brands are considered most realiable etc.