Belt drive hybrid?

MikeFromLFE

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2022
I've posted this in the 'Welcome' thread but I'll duplicate the question here:
I'm looking at a 'utility' ebike for trips to the allotment (carrying produce home) and for my volunteering job on the canal (carrying tools etc). Plus, I'd like it to have a range sufficient for longer trips, up to 40 miles maybe.
I'm currently looking at step-through hub-geared hybrid bikes (and belt drives appeal) - the Gazelle Ultimate C8 looks impressive, but seems to be perpetually out of stock in a 57cm frame - so and advice on alternatives would be appreciated!
Are there any serious downsides to belt drive machines apart from puncture repair difficulties?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
not got a belt but can go 28mph.
That doesn't include the cost of professional moustache shaping, which can be very expensive. For L1e-A, I'd much rather get a 1000W BafangHD - easier and cheaper to repair.

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
I've posted this in the 'Welcome' thread but I'll duplicate the question here:
I'm looking at a 'utility' ebike for trips to the allotment (carrying produce home) and for my volunteering job on the canal (carrying tools etc). Plus, I'd like it to have a range sufficient for longer trips, up to 40 miles maybe.
I'm currently looking at step-through hub-geared hybrid bikes (and belt drives appeal) - the Gazelle Ultimate C8 looks impressive, but seems to be perpetually out of stock in a 57cm frame - so and advice on alternatives would be appreciated!
Are there any serious downsides to belt drive machines apart from puncture repair difficulties?
I have owned and enjoyed a belt drive bike for more than four years. It's great. As for downsides I've experienced none but am aware of the extra work when it comes to, as you note, removing the wheel for puncture repair. You remind me to purchase a special sort of inner tube that has a break in the ring. Should you get a puncture on your belt drive bike rear wheel, you cut out the old tube, insert the new tube and touch the ends together and off you go. My memory tells me they were German but I cannot recall the brand name. Meanwhile, here is another to look at.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You remind me to purchase a special sort of inner tube that has a break in the ring. Should you get a puncture on your belt drive bike rear wheel, you cut out the old tube, insert the new tube and touch the ends together and off you go. My memory tells me they were German but I cannot recall the brand name. Meanwhile, here is another to look at.
The commonest brand is Gaadi
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/inner-tubes/gaadi-double-ended-presta-valve-inner-tube-275-650b-x-190-210-inch-5054584/ etc
I hadn't heard of the ETC ones.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A reply to Mike as I have mentioned more in the other thread.
Before buying which ever bike , think about how it will accommodate the size and sort of items you may need to carry, as mentioned a light weight trailer may be an option if the chosen bike isn't ideal for carrying larger items.