Bent spokes ...

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
As in ...

The wheel still runs dead true and is still exactly concentric with the hub. Can I get away with carefully squeezing them straight by means of a small steel vice with ally jaw liners?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
bent spokes protect against excessive tension and are usually found on fragile rims like carbon rims.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Sorry, I don't understand. These spokes have got bent. They are not meant to be bent.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Were they straight before?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Is that a DIY build/kit motor wheel? The problem is the eyelets in the rim hold the nipples at right-angles, which is not the angle the spokes want to go.

If it was a DIY build, maybe the builder bent them so that they lined up with the nipples, but sometimes they do that when you tighten the spokes. No point in trying to straighten them. you'll only make it worse.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
They got bent by accident. That's the rear wheel of a 2022 Gazelle ebike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Your plan seems OK but you should procure a couple of replacement spokes before attempting to straighten them.

Reactions: danfoto

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One will have to remove a good spoke to get the length correct before ordering replacements.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The wheel still runs dead true and is still exactly concentric with the hub.
This doesn't make any sense to me. How can the rim be true and concentric when the spokes have been bent when previously they weren't, and they're not supposed to be? Clearly the spokes have undergone some compression to bend them, so the rim cannot now be true/concentric. Logic suggests you've hit something hard to cause that; it's not a natural phenomenon.

I hope someone can explain?

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
This doesn't make any sense to me. How can the rim be true and concentric when the spokes have been bent when previously they weren't, and they're not supposed to be? Clearly the spokes have undergone some compression to bend them, so the rim cannot now be true/concentric. Logic suggests you've hit something hard to cause that; it's not a natural phenomenon.

I think you're over-thinking this. If you're anywhere in East Sussex, you're welcome to come and see for yourself. No need to bring a dial gauge - you can use mine :)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bending certain metals back and forth too much, causes them to become more brittle and more likely to break. If it were my bike, I'd replace all the bent spokes.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I think you're over-thinking this.
I probably am. But it's not my life on the line when the spokes shear and the wheel collapses on a fast downhill descent!

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

It certainly looks as if the spokes have had a significant knock of some sort, and I agree with the comments that its best to replace them. But I can see how some bad forces on the wheel could bend the spokes fairly evenly; leaving the wheel reasonably concentric and true. Removing a very stubborn freewheel is the only thing I can think of that could cause such a big but relatively even shock.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
As in ...

View attachment 50588

The wheel still runs dead true and is still exactly concentric with the hub. Can I get away with carefully squeezing them straight by means of a small steel vice with ally jaw liners?
What gauge are the spokes?
e.g. 14g is 2mm diameter, 13g is 2.3mm, 12g is 2.6mm

Last edited: