best all rounder

olrac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2014
with all the new year offers coming in what do you all think is the best all round ebike for around a grand.
ave ch tour
ebco
kalkhoff groove
big bear
etc ec etc

D

Deleted member 4366

There is no best one. They're all good. Which one will be best for you depends on you: how you like a bike to look and feel; how far and fast you want to go; how well it fits you; what stuff you want to carry; how fit you are; where you want to ride; etc; etc.

Reactions: Jimod

olrac

Dec 14, 2014
While the family are watching the usual rubbish on TV I am looking at the special offers from The Electric Bike Shop.
The Kristall ED3 looks like a well specced bike for the money.
Anyone got one or had experience of one of these??

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Olrac
One more question to answer on top of D8veh list is do you wear lycra when cycling? That and when where how and why will guide us as to what might suit you best.
After all a rolls Royce might not be the best car for off road, or transporting the local cub pack but it might be the best car for some.

olrac

Dec 14, 2014
Definitely no lycra. What is required is a fun stepthrough commuter bike, approx 4 miles each way, that can tackle the odd hill with ease. I am sure all the bikes would do the job.Just which is thee best equipped/value for money. Why spend 1000 when you can get away with 800 for something that is basically like for like.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Even a tesco hopper should manage an 8 mile commute and give you £400 change from your £800 budget.
Ebay also provides a number of chances for a deal.
However to trim it down age and fitness (include asthma and other limits,it's not about insulting you but need to know to get the best idea).
They all count as is your mechanical sympathy?

olrac

Dec 14, 2014
I ride a regular bike to work occasionally and enjoy it. Just get too hot and sweaty so looking for an alternative for when I feel a bit lazy and for getting home easily when I am tired. However, I don't want to go as cheap as a tesco hopper. I realise that all bikes are good- just personal preference, but I was after advice for the best specced bike for the money. EG a raleigh ebike for 1300 seems to have the same spec as the Ebco and the Kalkhoff for around 900 or less. That's a big difference unless the raleigh is that much better. I am prepared to spend more if it is worth it. Like everyone else,I am looking for the best bike at the best price.So many to choose from in this range which is why personal experiences from forum members is invaluable.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
In the under £1200 There are isn't a great deal of difference. A brand name will cost more with similar spec,s.
Some off the offers/ex demo bikes that were £1500+ will have better components. My personal choice would be an ex demo or secondhand quality bike that is good to pedal un assisted.
Hub gear is worth looking at for low maintenance and ease of use.
My choice of BH race with Panasonic drive were nice.( I would still ride it but for the car driver who totalled it and me)
The kalhoff is also good to ride.
New the whoosh was best buy but now some of the other brands also compete.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

olrac

Dec 14, 2014
Esprit looks very good with nexus 8 hub. The frame looks small and I can't seem to the the size on the powerpedals website.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Esprit looks very good with nexus 8 hub. The frame looks small and I can't seem to the the size on the powerpedals website.
It isn't small, I have one and the seat is almost completely down, I am 5'8", the handle bars are fully adjustable so length from seat or height should not be a problem, if there are any specific dimensions you want just ask.
The reply may not be prompt though as I am in Australia and will be hitting the sack shortly :)
Oh and it is a nice bike with great hill climbing ability.

Blackgold

Jul 14, 2014
Just tried the new Kudos Rapide,am thinking of replacing my Kudos Tornado bike,I have loved the Tornado but most of my riding seems to be to work.
I was so impressed by the Rapide,it was the most free running of any e-bike I have tested,the Kenda Kwick tyres were a good compromise between low rolling resistance,water clearing and some chunkiness.
I rode it some distance with the power off,it felt much more like a normal bike. The acceleration and hill climbing power was very similar to my Tornado,
It's a toss up between making the Tornado into more a commuter bike with mud gads and a rack or selling it and buying the Rapide,like the hydraulic brakes on the Rapide.
Kudos are annoying in making the best bike for me 6 months after I bought the last one,I suppose that's life.
Happy New Year everyone.

olrac

Dec 14, 2014

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Both systems have Shimano hub gear and 250 legal systems with 9 amp batteries.
I suspect there is almost no differencs in road speed or range.
The Ansmann has a longer warranty but £300 is useful.
I think the grove F7 is the better bargin even outdoing whoosh.

C

Cyclezee

Is the Ansmann good value at 300 more than the Kalkhoff?
Are their performance the same?
Hi olrac,

As has already been mentioned the Ansmann has higher spec and the option of upgrading to a larger capacity battery, silent motor, better tyres, plus the longest warranty of any electric bike on the market.

They have similar performance and are both good bikes so it comes down to personal choice and budget.

Last edited by a moderator: