Best bang for buck sub £1000 folding ebike with Throttle!

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
the lightest folder that can do the 18 miles trip is the woosh Gallego and it has a throttle but you have to push first on the pedal for about half a turn before the throttle kicks in.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gallego

Its a 16" wheel. How does this compare the components quality and comfort of other ones we discussed? Also is throttle can reach 15mph on its own?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
on throttle, the gallego goes about 12-13mph.
The components are good, Bafang motor, Samsung cell battery, Nexus hub gear, shimano rollerbrakes, puncture resistant tyres, mudguards, bell, lights. Very low maintenance. Just tuck it under a desk when not riding. Personally, I don't want to ride it 18 miles on a trot.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
The components are good, Bafang motor, Samsung cell battery, Nexus hub gear, shimano rollerbrakes, puncture resistant tyres, mudguards, bell, lights. Very low maintenance. Just tuck it under a desk when not riding. Personally, I don't want to ride it 18 miles on a trot.
Can you please elaborate why ? And in this situation what would be your options?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Thats 22kg without the battery.
Yes the Freego is not light but is that the most important factor? Will the bike need to be picked up and carried any distance? Will two people or just one be available to carry it? As it is an ebike, the weight will have little effect on the performance and would still be easy to ride unpowered but not ideal. Perhaps the OP could shed some light on the weight issue.

Unless you go to at least a 15 or 16ah battery, you will be charging daily and that will shorten the batery life as earlier stated. There are lighter bikes that will do a daily journey as I said before.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I agree. The geometry of the bike and small wheels would not be that desirable for me on an 18 mile trip.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Yes the Freego is not light but is that the most important factor? Will the bike need to be picked up and carried any distance? Will two people or just one be available to carry it? As it is an ebike, the weight will have little effect on the performance and would still be easy to ride unpowered but not ideal. Perhaps the OP could shed some light on the weight issue.

Unless you go to at least a 15 or 16ah battery, you will be charging daily and that will shorten the batery life as earlier stated. There are lighter bikes that will do a daily journey as I said before.
Yes, it needs to be carried 2 flights up the stairs at home. 2 people may be available but not always, so we need to count only one person is available.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Yes, it needs to be carried 2 flights up the stairs at home. 2 people may be available but not always, so we need to count only one person is available.
I do not believe you will find a bike to meet your specific needs weight wise. This is an issue covered on other threads with no happy ending. You are looking for the holy grail of ebikes, a light weight, easy to handle bike that will cover the range and still be comfortable. Could it be folded and stored in the boot of your car when not it use?

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I suppose a used Montague Urban (£250) with a 2.2kg rear hub motor from Greenbikekit, £110 after import fees, oh and the controller/display/levers etc, another £70, then possibly £100 to get a bike builder builder to put it together unless you want to have a go yourself (mine took me two months...), £270 for a 3.4kg Eclipse battery, it'd be maybe 15kg for the bike + 3.4kg for the battery to take upstairs in two trips, but I'd say it'd put anyone's back out after a few goes. And the Montague Urban stupidly will only take narrow possibly hard-riding 30mm tyres unless you get someone with an angle grinder to take off the rear rim brake mount (it's got rear disc fittings). It's also a 700c so harder than a 26 inch to pedal independently if any knee issues. There are some 26 inch Dahon Cadenzas with the same kind of weight (not the rear hub gear versions). But this lifting upstairs thing is no joke imho. Either of those bikes will go in a boot - although that's not a joke either, one can put one's back out doing that too.

Reactions: Scott clarke

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's a long way to travel on small wheels I wouldn't want to do it not unless it was on a moped
Nearly 20 miles each way is a very long distance for a commute on a full size ebike, let alone a small wheeled folder.

It will equate to about an hour and a half each way - too much on a daily basis and thoroughly unpleasant in poor weather.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
After re-reading the OP's posts, I think his wife work's place is 9 miles from home. It's possible but hard going. I did like the idea of keeping the folder in the back of the car instead of lugging it up two flights of stairs.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
After re-reading the OP's posts, I think his wife work's place is 9 miles from home. It's possible but hard going. I did like the idea of keeping the folder in the back of the car instead of lugging it up two flights of stairs.
Yes, trex you are right. Its 9 miles each way.
Does anyone know realistic milage on moderate use (70% pedal assist, 30% throttle)of woosh or kudos secret?
Also whether they can reach to 15mph on throttle?

I was also looking at the a2b kuo +. Dont mind spending couple hundred extra for better components, milage. Its also 19 kg mark. Can anyone comment on this buke or have a better folding alternative for £1200?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Kuo + plus is a good bike if you want something lighter. We have two of these on the way to us for a customer plus the standard Kuo in stock.

What is your Mrs planning to use the throttle for, as most people are suprised how good the pedal assist is. However some people find the throttle handy for junctions.

To increase comfort you could add balloon tyres.

Dave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if the bike is made in China, they have about the same quality of components. You won't find Deore XT groupset or Fox suspensions there.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Kuo + plus is a good bike if you want something lighter. We have two of these on the way to us for a customer plus the standard Kuo in stock.

What is your Mrs planning to use the throttle for, as most people are suprised how good the pedal assist is. However some people find the throttle handy for junctions.

To increase comfort you could add balloon tyres.

Dave
Thanks. Throttle would be helpful climbing a hill or a flyover without putting extra effort. Or depend on throttle if she's tired to push the bike.

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
if the bike is made in China, they have about the same quality of components. You won't find Deore XT groupset or Fox suspensions there.
Are you saying a2b kudos or woosh would have pretty much similar quality components? And not worth paying extra?

Regardless of components some features are available in some where its not available on the others. For example throttle speed limited to 4mph on kudos. But on woosh can reach upto 15mph on throttle alone, correct me if I am wrong. Not sure if a2b throttle speed. Please state if you know.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
The green edge is full throttle and twelve months warranty and less than £600 so I guess parts are the cheaper make Then you get the kudos for £895 no throttle apart from walking throttle and I would guess they are made in China too. Most things are made in China now and are getting better with quality control I think.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
But its a full size bike you are talking about...
Yes but im on about the parts all coming from the same country maybe even the same factory so I guess like all things you pay for the name. Most Peugeot scooter are made in China on the same production line as bikes half the price but you pay for the name and the dealer back up.