Best bike for £1300.

Minty

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 23, 2020
Devon
Hi all. Looking for a decent ebike for a daily 16 mile commute. My budget is £1300. I have been looking at the Cyclotricity Stealth 1000w, Wing and Woosh. I am looking for a powerful bike with plenty of torque. Also I would like to have the option to get a little more speed out of it over the legal 15mph in time. I would really appreciate opinions from the knowledgeable on those bikes or anything else suitable. Many thanks. Carl.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I am looking for a powerful bike with plenty of torque.
That count's the rubbish 1000w bike out of the window then.
If you want torque a code 16 Woosh hub bike.

Reactions: RobF
D

Deleted member 25121

I suggest you visit a few bike shops, get some test rides to get a good idea of size, comfort and performance and look very carefully at the level of expertise they have in providing support. If they have to rely too much on their suppliers to provide them with support then walk away.

People on here say good things about some Halfords bikes, just beware of some of their low end Chinese stuff.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As said, the Stealth would be worse than useless because of its 1000w direct drive design motor.

Those motors have their strengths, they are very quiet, and go well on the flat (with no wind) once wound up.

But they are hopeless against even a mild gradient/headwind, and in stop/start conditions.

A motor like the ones fitted to woosh bikes is a far superior solution.

Such motors are available in other bikes, but there are other good reasons for buying a woosh.

The ride properties of the various makes of suitable motors vary.

Worth giving woosh a ring before ordering, because they will point you in the direction of the bike in their range best suited to you and your proposed use.

If you just want to hammer along at an illegally assisted 25 or 30mph, buy a moped.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Just adding to what the others have said against the 1000w direct drive. They require a very potent battery, they are very inefficient so have a small range for given battery size, and battery life is likely to be low as well.

And a repeat of the suggestion to give Woosh a ring.

Minty

Mar 23, 2020
Devon
That count's the rubbish 1000w bike out of the window then.
If you want torque a code 16 Woosh hub bike.
Hi Neilh. What is a code 16 Woosh hub bike? I had pretty much decided that a Woosh would be best but just wanted to hear more alternative ideas.

Minty

Mar 23, 2020
Devon
I suggest you visit a few bike shops, get some test rides to get a good idea of size, comfort and performance and look very carefully at the level of expertise they have in providing support. If they have to rely too much on their suppliers to provide them with support then walk away.

People on here say good things about some Halfords bikes, just beware of some of their low end Chinese stuff.

Minty

Mar 23, 2020
Devon
Hi. Which are the better Halfords bikes. I've bought a couple of push bikes from them in recent years and they were rubbish.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Code numbers on Bafang hubs donate the rpm winding, my code 13 bpm hub is a 201rpm (loaded speed) & up to 19mph (28"/700c)and a good hill climber. The code 16 is a 160rpm wound hub and a very good hill climber with more low speed torque it should top out at about 16 or 17mph (28"/700c).
As a hubs rpm winding gets lower the terminal speed of the motor is also lower, at the other end of the scale a 328rpm hub will have a terminal speed of about 28mph (28"/700c) but show it a hill and it gets scared and struggles to put down good useable torque.
The faster hubs are for speed and prefer flat terrain or to be use din small wheels as on a folder.

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
For £200 more you could get this.

I understand that £200 more might be out of the question but just in case.