Best bike for hills?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Ok, so I just went out again. Like I said, I don't need to the power on unless i'm on hills but I gave it a go on the flat today anyway to see how it felt. I let the dog off to run on his own and I had it at assist level one.. I was going about 9 miles an hour in fourth gear, again it just kicked in and out randomly and never stayed on for any length of time. I had assumed peddle assist meat that you peddled however you felt comfortable and it done some of the work for you. I didn't realise it would zoom me along accelerating then cutting out.

Tried it on the hill again at level five and the same thing happened. It kicked in and cut out (not because I was going 15 mph) and i eventually came to a stop again because I couldn't peddle up the hill (its pretty steep). So i used the throttle and it got me up no bother.

Am I doing something wrong? It's grand the throttle can get me up but i'd really like to be able to use the peddle assist.

It sounds like something is amiss with the pedal sensor. When the pedals are turning the motor should be working until the 15mph cut out speed. If you're below that speed the motor should always be assisting you.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I agree with jimod. The pedal sensor is mounted on the bottom bracket spindle, on the chain side. Take a look. Facing the sensor is a magnet disc, about 4 inches wide. The disc needs to be close to the sensor but not touching.
The disc could be knocked out of its best position. If this is the case, you can push it back toward the sensor with a screwdriver. Post a picture here if you are not sure.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the magnet disc looks OK.
if you rotate the cranks, you should see the disc rotates in sync with the cranks.
If you can't see, may be easier to see if the bike is upside down.

PS: can you get up to 15mph with pedalling?

Last edited:

chelle

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
Get up to 15 mph pedalling alone? Yes.

The sensor definitely seems to be in a good position although there is one small mark on the disk that is inline with the sensor so perhaps it's touching at one point?

The motor is definitely not working the entire time the peddles are moving when the bike is under 15mph. Not even close.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the mark as on the picture may be nothing to worry about, but if you like to be on the safe side, squeeze a bit of grease over the sensor head to prevent it from being overheated if the disc comes into contact.
when you pedal, does the bike run more smoothly on assist level 1 than on level 4 or 5?
Just to isolate the cause, perhaps you should think of setting a high speed limit so that the bike does not cut out because of the speed limit, you can then check that the motor keeps running when you pedal continuously.

chelle

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
Well it doesn't make much difference what level I have it on, I peddle continuously at under fifteen miles an hour and it just kicks in and out randomly. Most of the time it isn't running at all and i'm just peddling on my own.. despite the fact it's turned on. Very strange. A bit of a pain as the dealer is so far away!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
give them a call, they'll have to sort it for you.

Reactions: jonathan75

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh are very good, if you contact them explain the problem thay will help you. I expect they will send you out

Reactions: jonathan75