Best Commuter/Tower for under £1k?

mishabgt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2011
Have up to 1,000 to spend on an electric bike.

Need it to commute to work a few days a week (max 10 miles each way on fairly flat ground) as well as to tow a child trailer (tow hitch mounts over rear axle bolt on left hand side, so need access to that)

Would ideally like front or full suspension as well as throttle option (off-road throttle would be great).

Can you suggest anything that fits my requirements?

Thanks
Mike

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I ride a Tonaro Enduro and Jannie has a Tonaro Compy both great bikes, on and off road. Tonaro also do the Bighit which is a fully kitted out mountainbike.

We are keen cyclists and have everything from mountainbikes to recumbents and we really like the Tonaros. They are well build, very durable and have a crank motor, which means they are easy to pedal if the power runs out.

They are well worth looking at and Phil provides a really good service.

Steve

mishabgt

Jun 23, 2011
Oh Steve... Now you've started something... The Bighit is on offer at £95 over my budget and looks AMAZING! sooo tempted to just order one!

Serious thinking time.. Thanks for mentioning them

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi, my commute is a similar length to yours with a couple of hills thrown in, plus I sometimes tow a child cycle trailer. I've got a Wisper and it copes very well. At the weekend we like to take our daughter out to a local country park which includes a serious hill climb and again the Wisper is great. Worth a test ride!

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Last edited:

nbmk

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2010
milton keynes
I think providing you could handle a 21" inch frame the alien aurora could suit your needs, its not legal in the motor department but i have found it to be a solid bike. Ive done over 1300 miles since getting mine in february and regularly tow my daughter in her large double trailer/carrier, other than snapping a chain which was my fault and having to adjust the spokes its been great, gets to me to work faster than anyone else on the redways thats for sure! It only has front suspension which to be honest isnt that great but does the job, its also a heavy bike so you wouldnt really want to ride it without power. It can be done but its not fun....
Worth a look at least :)

mishabgt

Jun 23, 2011
I do have another bike - a Schwinn Moab 1, hardtail (front suspension only) but although I did originally consider converting it to electric, have decided that I want to keep that as a 'bike' bike and get an EB as a 'commuter vehicle' bike (if that makes sense)

Ideally I want a full suspension step over framed MTB-type frame, hence the Tonaro Bighit is currently looking favourite.

A bit of a gamble to buy without trying but others seem to have done so (steven denmark) and been thrilled. Looking at the spec and reading reviews it seems to tick all boxes, so watch this space.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have bought the Enduro which is a hard tail version of the Bighit. There is a hill next to my house which I have just measured as best as I can as 10 degrees or 11 percent or 1 in 9. Normally I pedal up it in second gear with full assist, but this evening, just to find out what would happen, I put the bike into first gear and just throttled. It went slowly up the hill about 3-4 mph, I expected it to stall, but unlike a petrol engine, as it slows down an electric motor gives more torque, so to my utter amazement it went right to the top without any bother. Just to confirm it, I went back down about halfway and made a standing start. I put my foot on the pedal ready to give a good shove, twisted the throttle fully open and away she went without any pedalling.