Best cycle pump.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
No to be sensible the whole charging stuff from a 12v socket is a bit silly as you are basically charging a battery device from another rechargeable battery device! Its more the carry over from motorcycling that makes it seem a good idea but then they actually produce power.
Depends on what you want it for. Still useful if you're out for long periods without access to a power supply as it's a generic socket to access your battery. Outdoor and touring trips basically without a mains power source anywhere apart from what you take with you (95% of the trips I make on the Trek come to think of it !). Just cuts down on the number of things you have to carry about / remember / look after and centralizes everything. One battery plays everything basically.

A built-in phone charger is actually useful - have used that a lot when out for the day running music and GPS/Navigation and especially when I'm out getting stuff wet / filty (fewer spares to carry about and risk damage to, no leads to lose in the bottom of your bag etc. !). These sorts of things consume no meaningful battery capacity over a couple of hours' riding and you're never riding along with a "connect your charger" message. Powered lights are a very useful add-on too imho. Even then you should have basic backups fitted with independent supply or (most failsafe) dynamo in case of failure - but you don't have to think about charging 18650 cells / packs every time you leave the house or come home :). I know that doesn't bother some people but I personally find it a PITA !

Last edited: