Best cycling app?

Kitara

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2016
Can anyone recommend any iPhone cycling apps? Which is the easiest to use, not too complicated?

Thank you.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I guess that it largely depends upon what you want it for.

Here is a link to a few. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/best-cycling-apps-143222

I use Android, so some of the following might not be relevant to you.

For keeping records of rides, I use Strava and sometimes Map My Ride.

For off road mapping, I use OS map finder.

Instagram to capture the moment.

And in case of an off road tumble, I have My GPS Coordinates, including phone messaging to an allocated number. I also have 112 programmed in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitara

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
The two at the top of my list are:

1) CycleStreets - Fantastic bike routing unequaled by any other app.

2) OsmAnd - Great all-purpose mapping app.

Both of them are powered by Open Street Map data and are much more detailed than Google Maps, especially when it comes to off-road mapping.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the iPhone bit. These are Android, but CycleStreets might be available for iOS

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Strava, but make sure that you set it for ebike use, especially if you live in Derbyshire.

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
I've only recently jumped on the strava train and I must admit, I'm a big fan.

The social aspect really sold it to me, getting encouragement from others is always welcome

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
I use Strava for my "regular" bike rides. Is there away of flagging electric bike rides so that they don't impact leaderboards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
Thanks that's great
I will start using it on my ebike and see how things compare overall with my normal bike

ocb

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
I use Cyclemeter for my commute, as I don't actually like the "social" side of things. Getting to/from work in one piece and if possible improving my time (+health) are more than enough motivation ;)

I have friends and colleagues who love Strava though.

Be careful with apps that need internet connection for mapping/route guidance obviously.

EddiePJ - nice tip on the My GPS Coordinates...not something I'd thought of, but makes great sense! Having quikly googled such things, seems that there are even crash sensing products such as the IceDot to consider

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
Are e-bikers generally accepted by the Strava community? Considering the main focus is on logging times, hill climbs etc then I would have thought there would be a lot of negative comments(?)

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Are e-bikers generally accepted by the Strava community? Considering the main focus is on logging times, hill climbs etc then I would have thought there would be a lot of negative comments(?)
I've checked it out. If you flag your ride as an ebike ride it doesn't appear on the regular leaderboards.

Reactions: KevinMull

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm after a simple app that will allow me to...

Create routes (on and off road) on a web version on my PC and upload to the app and then follow this route via GPS and also show elevation, speed, distance etc.

I'm currently using Google Maps which is fine but doesn't seem to do elevation or stats. Google My Tracks was ideal but it's no longer available.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I use Routeyou (http://www.routeyou.com/en-gb) together with a Mio Cyclo (which is designed primarily for cycling use - although it can also be used for car navigation). The Mio Cyclo 300 does the job and can usually be picked up for about £140. Routes planned on routeyou (on your PC) can then be downloaded as gpx files and moved onto the Mio Cyclo. Works a treat for me.