Best Donor Mountain Bikes for Oxy Drive 13a

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Has anyone here done the Oxydrive 13a Conversion? Which MTB did you use? And finally, was it fairly straight forward? Many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

They've changed the pedal sensor now, so it fits more bikes. You have to drill the magnet disc if you have a Octalink or Hollowtech type BB. The only other thing is the brake cut-offs. They provide new brake levers that only work on cable brakes. It's a good idea to add a Cycleeze torque arm, so you need a bike with a suitable anchor point for it like a disc brake. Rim brakes aren't really suitable for electric mountain bikes anyway. Lastly, you need one with a triangle big enough for the battery.

The ideal donor bike therefore has a largish triangle and disc brakes. Combined changers and brakes are not ideal. Nothing else matters really.

You get about 22 mph in a 26" wheel and about 25 mph in a 700c, but you're trading speed for torque. If you're heavy or have steep hills, 26" would be better. The 700c rim is not vey wide, so avoid bikes with big typres like 2.3" wide.

I recently fitted one to a Boardman hybrid, which was on the Gadget Show 27th April. It's a very fast bike, and would be ideal for high-speed commuting. It can average 22 mph without pedalling too hard. The guy that has it now (Saneagle) rides it without power most of the time and can still keep up with me. He weighs over 110kg! What it shows is that a large hub-motor can still work in a light bike. The compete system of kit and bike makes a very fast and efficient means of transport.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
yes boardman hybrid are really quick. I had one with a bbs02 and it was nice and quick. But dangerous with potholes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I built up a Mtrax 5.0 frame for my 13ah Oxydrive, if you go for a full sus mtb you really need one with the neater rear sus tucked up against top bar rather than the untidy ones that sit on the vertical frame tube. The kit is plug and play so very simple to fit with very little wiring showing, the only problem is if you want to have it in a different rim then you need to rebuild and true it up.
Had a ride out today top speed today was 39mph downhill.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Had a ride out today top speed today was 39mph downhill.
I don't know if you realised it, but the Oxydrive display maxes out at something like 39 mph, so you might have been going faster.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have had a faster reading d8veh on my very 1st outing it recorded 44.5 mph may be the display has been reconfigured ?

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Has anyone here done the Oxydrive 13a Conversion? Which MTB did you use? And finally, was it fairly straight forward? Many thanks
I used my Giant Trance X2 (2010 model) and the conversion was pretty easy but I had to drill the frame and add a couple of rivnuts in order to mount the battery, see below..

This picture was taken before I fitted the Cyclezee torque arm.

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Thanks for the replies and d8veh,step away from the gun,but newbie question number 2 coming up. Will fit this on a 26" mtb , is this a good kit for the cash,are there better alternatives? That is technically 2 questions.

D

Deleted member 4366

The battery has good quality Samsung cells, and the motor is the more expensive cassette version. The suport from Oxydrive is exemplary. You can buy a kit with the same motor and a similar battery from China for about £600, for which you may not get any support. These kits are amongst my favourites. It's not possible to say whether there's better ones because it depends on what you want. I thought they were a bit expensive at £800, but now that the price has been reduced, they look very attractive. You can't take away the facts that it won the world chapionships with a rider that had hardly ridden a bike, and it blitzed the new Volt on the Gadget Show.

Yes, there's a 26" version, which IMHO is the best version for an MTB.

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Thanks very much, informed opinion goes a long way. Will take the plunge and let you know how it goes.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
The battery has good quality Samsung cells, and the motor is the more expensive cassette version. The suport from Oxydrive is exemplary.
You know I would really like one of those smaller bafang cst motors to make a wheel up with as mine is a heavy larger diameter but unfortunately never got a reply from oxydrive so I presume I would have to buy the whole kit. Shame (unless d8veh can flex some muscle? wink wink nudge nudge)

OXYDrive

Finding my (electric) wheels
Hi Awol,
Sorry if we missed your email but honestly can not really remember anything from you. Amount of emails coming every day is significant and sometimes it is difficult to keep up with everything, I have to add that half of those are spam emails that filters did not manage to catch.

If you mention the smaller cst motor SWX that is fitted on the CST 11Ah it is also high speed motor but kits are sold only as complete set of motor, battery , controller etc, we can't sell individual components. If you have any questions feel free to ring me directly on 07738866502

all the best
Andrew

Reactions: RobF

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Hi Awol,
Sorry if we missed your email but honestly can not really remember anything from you. Amount of emails coming every day is significant and sometimes it is difficult to keep up with everything, I have to add that half of those are spam emails that filters did not manage to catch.

If you mention the smaller cst motor SWX that is fitted on the CST 11Ah it is also high speed motor but kits are sold only as complete set of motor, battery , controller etc, we can't sell individual components. If you have any questions feel free to ring me directly on 07738866502

all the best
Andrew
No problem Andrew, I understand. I may end up getting a whole kit in the future instead. Thanks for letting me know.