Best helmet IF you want one?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Two for me.

The superb Recon 661.
My only criticism with this helmet is wind noise. It makes an odd noise, that makes you think that that there is a car right on your tail. It was disconcerting to start with, but now I don't tend to even notice it. The weight is good, the peak works well, and I like the extra protection that is offered by the extended sides/rear.

And the not so fetching unknown brand, night riding helmet. Clearly safety issues could be raised by the addition of the lights, but that's my choice. I'm forever whacking the top of cycle helmets on low hanging branches, which is why the light is side mounted. I shall be removing the centre mounted emergency back up light, as it was only fitted last night, and has already collected a debris of leaves!

Last edited:

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Who said they don't make you look like a tw@t.
I wear a standard Bell helmet and look nothing like a tw@t. In fact, I think I look pretty cool.
Course you look cool. Not sure about that old bloke behind you though.

Reactions: SRS

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Yes, I wear that sort of helmet in winter. But it a hot summer, it gets a bit clammy in there, so I wear the usual sort of helmet with lots of slots and holes.

I came off my bike yesterday (I was on very uneven ground), no damage done, and I didn't hit my head, so the helmet wasn't relevant. But here's the experiment that persuaded me to wear a helmet.

Step 1. No helmet - bang my head on the road.
Step 2. With helmet - bang my head on the road.

I hear the arguments for and against, but that experiment convinces me. And if you're not keen on banging your head on the road, you can just do it as a thought-experiment.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If you like a cool helmet, this or one of its clone are awesome, you can feel a side breeze as if you had no helmet on to the extent that I have reached up and checked :). It's a Catlike wisper

C

Cyclezee

Yes, I wear that sort of helmet in winter. But it a hot summer, it gets a bit clammy in there, so I wear the usual sort of helmet with lots of slots and holes.

I came off my bike yesterday (I was on very uneven ground), no damage done, and I didn't hit my head, so the helmet wasn't relevant. But here's the experiment that persuaded me to wear a helmet.

Step 1. No helmet - bang my head on the road.
Step 2. With helmet - bang my head on the road.

I hear the arguments for and against, but that experiment convinces me. And if you're not keen on banging your head on the road, you can just do it as a thought-experiment.
If you perform step one properly step 2 won't be possibleo_O

D

Deleted member 4366

If you like a cool helmet, this or one of its clone are awesome, you can feel a side breeze as if you had no helmet on to the extent that I have reached up and checked :). It's a Catlike wisper
The wasps will love that one. They'll probably even try and build a nest in it.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Another one for the snow board type helmet , bought after my last one broke into bits after i came off my bike:eek:(it would have been my skull if not for the helmet)

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I'd only look at a snowboard helmet if using limited exertion and effort (or for only wearing in the dead of winter). It's important to have cooling if exercising, and most cycle helmets these days are pretty good at allowing airflow. In fact following on from d8veh's mantra about lycra wearers favouring torque sensors and non-lycra wearers favouring speed sensors perhaps we take it a step further - torque sensor = cycle helmet, speed sensor = snowboard helmet! :) Or perhaps that is a bit of a generalisation ...

I've cycled (on a road bike) with a Specialized Echelon helmet for the last 5 years and it's been great. Only in the depths of winter is it rather chilly, but then I put a polar buff on it and I'm toasty warm but still have air flow inside round my head. It does look like I'm wearing a huge coloured turban though.

Michael

Bob Hill

Just Joined
Oct 3, 2014
I recently got a POC (skate type) white helmet - it wasn't too expensive and seems very well built. Fit is very good compared to the adjustable decathlon helmet it replaced. Does anyone recommend none-darkened glasses? I use safety glasses that look like conventional spectacles and can recommend them instead of sunglasses for all but the lightest conditions and they stop a large insect at 30mph (down-hill of course) much better than the human eye :D

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
I use safety glasses i got from work they look just like cycling glasses the rap round type, was trying to get one of the safety helmets to, they have a built in half visor which slides into the helmet look real good as a cycling helmet.