Best legal eapc hill climber

hoppy

May 25, 2010
I'm not doubting you haven't, I imagine you've also seen a lot of variability in the people you've seen too?
It could well be that this person doesn't feel able to pedal, so please let hoppy answer my question.
I think they will pedal when they can but don't want to get stranded when their energy runs out.

Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I think they will pedal when they can but don't want to get stranded when their energy runs out.
My early days of returning to cycling were just like that, despite the illness I was able to improve my fitness to the point I don't miss having a throttle. But until the individual tries it is impossible to say how they'll get on.

I've gone from 2-mile rides on the flat to being able to cover over 50-miles on the right day.

It could well transform their life, wish them luck from me please.

Reactions: Geebee

hoppy

May 25, 2010
My early days of returning to cycling were just like that, despite the illness I was able to improve my fitness to the point I don't miss having a throttle. But until the individual tries it is impossible to say how they'll get on.

I've gone from 2-mile rides on the flat to being able to cover over 50-miles on the right day.

Thanks!

Reactions: Artstu
D

Deleted member 4366

One other thing. The Q85 hub motor, which is only rated at 200w and is about the smallest and weakest that you'll come across can haul a 100kg rider up a 14% hill at 36v and 15 amps if you put it in a 16" wheel or smaller. Like a crank-drive, it will be quite slow. Obviously, a bigger hub-motor will make even more torque.

here's forum member Andyofthesouth enjoying his bike with that motor in the Lake District, which, as you know, is all steep hills:
brompton.jpeg

Reactions: trex and VictoryV

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Where does your friend live Hoppy?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
One other thing. The Q85 hub motor, which is only rated at 200w and is about the smallest and weakest that you'll come across can haul a 100kg rider up a 14% hill at 36v and 15 amps if you put it in a 16" wheel or smaller.
The obvious difference is that a crank drive can also go at high speeds as well as low, the hub in a small wheel will only do a single slow speed even on the flat, not many riders will be happy with a top speed of say 5 mph :)