Best lock for my ebike

RichD1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2021
I've got a Grand Camino ebike from Woosh and have been looking at suitable bike locks like the Abus Granit X-plus. The problem I have is that the distance from the rim to the outside of the seatpost tube is about 170mm. I could buy a standard u lock but then I wouldn't be able to lock it to a sturdy object like a lamppost or bike stands or railings in the town. I live in Weymouth and though you do hear of bikes being stolen I don't think it would be on the scale of an inner city.

Any recommendations for a suitable lock?

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I've got a Grand Camino ebike from Woosh and have been looking at suitable bike locks like the Abus Granit X-plus. The problem I have is that the distance from the rim to the outside of the seatpost tube is about 170mm. I could buy a standard u lock but then I wouldn't be able to lock it to a sturdy object like a lamppost or bike stands or railings in the town. I live in Weymouth and though you do hear of bikes being stolen I don't think it would be on the scale of an inner city.

One lock is simply too few! (poor grammar is intentional! o_O )
I feel that you need at least two (the more the merrier!), to block both wheels and attach to a strongpoint in the ground.
Furthermore, you need a vibration alarm, to make sure any thief has to go home and change his shorts!
As no thief would be able to cut one lock off, let alone 2 or more, without setting off the alarm.
The alarm I use, looks like a rear light, which it is as well, runs for several weeks on an internal rechargeable battery (USB Port), and is very loud and also sensitive, and has a remote control, which is easily copied for a second remote, if you like me have two sets of keys for your e-bike.
It costs under 30 UK Pounds on ebay....
There appear to be more different ones available nowadays, see here:-
Belt and braces!
Best wishes
Andy

RichD1

Aug 29, 2021
Hi Andy, thanks for that, I hadn’t considered an alarm. I was going to have a cable through wheels and lock but it’s the D lock I need to sort out so I can secure the bike to something substantial.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
OneGuard bike lock, lock picking lawyer had trouble getting into one, although he did, with his skill set no lock is secure but over all he praised the lock for its build quality. Any(£30-£40 or up) hardened steel lock and as @Andy-Mat mentions two are better than one. Increasingly ppl tend to remove the battery when off bike this renders the bike less attractive to opportunists. Even expensive cables can be cut, so use the shackle as your anchor, cable are best for securing quick release wheels etc.

Reactions: Stan464 and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
OneGuard bike lock, lock picking lawyer had trouble getting into one, although he did, with his skill set no lock is secure but over all he praised the lock for its build quality. Any(£30-£40 or up) hardened steel lock and as @Andy-Mat mentions two are better than one. Increasingly ppl tend to remove the battery when off bike this renders the bike less attractive to opportunists. Even expensive cables can be cut, so use the shackle as your anchor, cable are best for securing quick release wheels etc.
Those did indeed cause him problems. Trouble is, if the D locks are long enough, they're not wide enough and vice versa - at least for me. And the D-locks which are both long and wide enough, are rubbish locks. I could be in the market for a second D-lock, but I'm presently too paranoid to leave my bike anywhere - my bike goes everywhere I do (folder).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I tend to shop by location to the bike, I am lucky to have quick easy "in & out" shops where at most times I can see my bike, woe betide any individual who dare go near it, guts for garters springs to mind however generally I am a pleasant chap, but will protect my property with fangs. :mad:

RichD1

Aug 29, 2021
Having scoured all the likely sellers I can't see any D lock which will go around my seat tube and the wheel and allow locking to something substantial. So I'm resigned to having to buy a 230mm D lock and just locking the frame to the rear wheel where the motor is. I guess I could buy a second d lock and then loop through the wheel one and then out to something solid. If a buy a cable is it better to have it threaded through the D lock or with a separate padlock?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy, thanks for that, I hadn’t considered an alarm. I was going to have a cable through wheels and lock but it’s the D lock I need to sort out so I can secure the bike to something substantial.
I have two Chinese made (supplied with my Bike), large sort of chain type with 5 or 6 links, each about 6" long (from memory, if you want exact details, I will go in the garage for you and take a picture!), and covered with a plastic film so that it does not scratch. They do not seem to be selling it anymore.
I could not pick the lock, which is an interesting design, that I have never seen before.
Maybe someone here can help better to find a good bike lock or three!.
On my e-bike it fits through the frame and the rear wheel, also around a fixed stanchion or similar.
I use the other one to anchor the front wheel to the frame, as that wheel has a quick release mechanism, and could easily be stolen.
With cutting disks on battery powered cutters, nothing is safe today (sadly!), but two or three bike locks, and asensitive and loud alarm, seems to have put off my "local" thieves, up to now at least!
But a better alarm, probably one that can send text messages to my phone, which will be a new GPS tracker, as my old one has overheated and will not charge, is one of my priorities for the near future.
The GPS trackers I have used, could place my bike within a meter of its actualy position, far better accuracy than was actually claimed....
That may also be an alternative for you, as if the tracker gets vibrated (when correctly set up), you get a text message....
regards
Andy

Reactions: RichD1

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In tests the bordo granite lasted onl 19 secs when attacked by a grinder.

Reactions: Stan464

grissgray

May 4, 2022
A lock will only keep an honest man from taken your bike you want too slow the person from taking your bike so lock each wheel induvial and then lock the frame,

most theft is opportunistic

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
In tests the bordo granite lasted onl 19 secs when attacked by a grinder.
Change the story morning glory.
Of course a cordless grinder defeats any lock, the point is to defeat opportunist thieves.

If you think like that then in truth it doesnt matter what frigging lock you put on. You could use marine silicon bronze chain,with links 2" thick and a cordless grinder would breeze through them. Strong enough to secure a battleship but the 'cordless grinder' silliness means its all but useless.

That type of rational isnt a fair assumption of a locks strengths or even its purpose. Might as well not have a bike or anything, might as well just sit at home twiddling your thumbs.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just pointing out some are far easier to get thru then others, it is reckoned that opportunists won't spend more then 30 secs trying to get a lock off.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I've gone for the AXA Fold Pro 100 and found it very user friendly. It is great on bike racks and street lights. On my last bike I also had an AXA Defender frame/ring lock with a plug in chain; really simple to use and also Silver Sold Secure rated (as is the Fold Pro 100).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Lol a 6.25kg "Grinder proof" lock:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is the graphene Hiplok D1000 the most angle-grinder resistant? Not available to buy yet (About £250) and still not a long or wide enough shackle... took one Youtuber 2.5 discs to grind through. It isn't plasma cutter proof:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Having scoured all the likely sellers I can't see any D lock which will go around my seat tube and the wheel and allow locking to something substantial. So I'm resigned to having to buy a 230mm D lock and just locking the frame to the rear wheel where the motor is. I guess I could buy a second d lock and then loop through the wheel one and then out to something solid. If a buy a cable is it better to have it threaded through the D lock or with a separate padlock?
...and that's the weird thing about D-locks! They are not big enough to secure one's bike to many types of secure-looking cylindrical metal objects embedded into urban environments: it's an odd and highly irritating design error.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Titanium locks seem a waste of money

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I tend to shop by location to the bike, I am lucky to have quick easy "in & out" shops where at most times I can see my bike, woe betide any individual who dare go near it, guts for garters springs to mind however generally I am a pleasant chap, but will protect my property with fangs. :mad:
I know what you mean - my plan in an attempted bikejacking, is to attack wielding my conveniently accessible club-like quick release Dahon long seat post and seat.

This combination might do the trick? 12.5kg per metre:

...with this:

Last edited: