Help! Best lock?

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
So my new bike arrives Tuesday. Next challenge - get the right security. Its a Carrera Crossfuse and will be locked at home in a locked shed, left outside Lidl sometimes when I pick up the shopping and on the odd occasion elsewhere eg Newark town centre. Ideally I'm wanting a lock I can use at home and when travelling but appreciate 2 different locks might be needed. I understand some locks provide "insurance" though a quick look indicates that's only if the bike disappears by the lock being broken - not sure that will always be something easy to prove however this would be a bonus. Thoughts welcome.
thanks
Mark

Reactions: Andy-Mat

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put the bike in the bedroom and the wife in the shed ;)

Reactions: theloafer

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I always lock mine with a couple of Kryptonite D locks, one long and one shorter shackle, along with the frame lock. I have taken lots of pictures of it locked liked this for the purposes of insurance, if some determined bastard nicks it. Also remove the display...

Have fun with your new bike, I love mine so much. It's the Raleigh Motus Grand Tour so has the same motor as yours. I have become so much fitter over the last 18 months/3000 miles!

Reactions: Jupe
D

Deleted member 25121

Have you looked into insuring your bike, some policies stipulate the standard of lock you have to use?

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
It usually goes with bike locks that the most expensive is the best. Something from the ABUS range generally get the best reviews but not cheap though, as always it depends on how much you value your bike.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Look out for the sold secure logo ,or try and get a lock that is marked gold or 9-10 , almost nothing can stop a determined attack with an angle grinder. I use a dlock and a steel extension cable for short stops and add a heavy duty chain if required . its just as important what you lock up against and try and choose a busy location

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
After consideration I have been using 3 d locks - one for each wheel & one for the frame. Get the thickest possible shank, as that is the bit that will be cut.
Don't worry about the extra weight (that's why you have electrical assistance) or the few extra seconds to fit all three - its quicker than walking back.

Reactions: theloafer

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
All locks can be defeated by an angle grinder but chains are harder for them to hold while doing this i would choose chains over D locks for this reason.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I take the battery off as well, on the basis the bike less a battery has more limited resale value. But I never rest comfortably leaving it, a downside of e-bike ownership.

Reactions: Boff and flash

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So my new bike arrives Tuesday. Next challenge - get the right security. Its a Carrera Crossfuse and will be locked at home in a locked shed, left outside Lidl sometimes when I pick up the shopping and on the odd occasion elsewhere eg Newark town centre. Ideally I'm wanting a lock I can use at home and when travelling but appreciate 2 different locks might be needed. I understand some locks provide "insurance" though a quick look indicates that's only if the bike disappears by the lock being broken - not sure that will always be something easy to prove however this would be a bonus. Thoughts welcome.
thanks
Mark
At least two locks. Nothing cheap. I have one deigned for motorbikes, its a bit heavy, but all the better for that I feel.
I lock each wheel to the frame and to something fixed where I park.
The other one is guaranteed to make hard work for a cutting disk, it was an optional extra with my Stark bike. Neither lock have I managed to pick (I was once for 7 months working for a locksmith company, after I retired, still have all the tools! Though I found the technical side easy and very interesting, the moral side of the work caused me to stop doing it once I had learned all the tricks of the trade! )
And also a vibration alarm, I use only one, but some of my friends have two alarms.
Mine was not expensive (ebay), is also a rear light with a remote control, and the alarm is really sensitive.
I can only say that up to now, nothing has been stolen!
Security is something that costs money though.....cheap and crappy locks are not a good idea at all..
Best wishes for the New Year.
Andy

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
At least two locks. Nothing cheap. I have one deigned for motorbikes, its a bit heavy, but all the better for that I feel.
I lock each wheel to the frame and to something fixed where I park.
The other one is guaranteed to make hard work for a cutting disk, it was an optional extra with my Stark bike. Neither lock have I managed to pick (I was once for 7 months working for a locksmith company, after I retired, still have all the tools! Though I found the technical side easy and very interesting, the moral side of the work caused me to stop doing it once I had learned all the tricks of the trade! )
And also a vibration alarm, I use only one, but some of my friends have two alarms.
Mine was not expensive (ebay), is also a rear light with a remote control, and the alarm is really sensitive.
I can only say that up to now, nothing has been stolen!
Security is something that costs money though.....cheap and crappy locks are not a good idea at all..
Best wishes for the New Year.
Andy
What are the locks you can not pick ?

• :D
Reactions: ebiker99

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The term pick is misleading its manipulate, single side keys are possible to bump with simple tools, even electric tools can be purchased [this used to be restricted to members of the MLA but thanks to the internet :( ]
The more levers and pins inside the lock the harder it gets ,the newer style laser computer cut keys make it hard but if they have time or skill, practice makes perfect the little sh-ts treat this as a full time job ,
Multiple locks and chains and a strong anchor point help ,this is why locks are graded 1-10 or silver -gold sold secure
But remember if they want it they will nick it:mad:
Lets hope it does not go the way of moped thefts robbery with weapons etc
The aim of any security device is to make your bike look like it would be easier to nick the one sat next to it
Plus we could always sell you a new or extra locks or alarm or tracker
MOST OF ALL WE SHOULD NOT BUY A BARGIN IN THE PUB OR ON FB MARKET THAT COME S WITHOUT A CHARGHER

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
What are the locks you can not pick ?
One has no name on it anymore, it was a tag that I cut off as it annoyed me, sorry! And I simply bought it then (10 years ago!) because it was very heavy, very thick, and completely covered in plastic, so reducing scratching, and I thought that it might take a long time to cut through! Nobody has ever tried!
The other one was once sold by Stark, using the Stark name, and its beautifully made, with a plastic carrier, that fits on the casing where the battery is installed. I have just looked and they do not sell it anymore as an accessory! Sorry!
I have tried several times to pick both, its almost become a hobby on its own! Though I have to add, that even being possibly unpickable, is simply not enough, as a cutting disk may make it "Pickable" so to say!!
But as of now as I said before, nobody has tried, and the bike with battery, is simply too heavy to carry far, because both wheels are completely blocked!
I found the packing for the second lock, but all the printing is in Chinese, and it was made by a company called Tonyon. The weblink is "www.tonyon.com", but I was unable to find it, maybe why Stark is not offering them anymore possibly, the company does not exist anymore...!
I do also have a similar type alarm/lock to this:-
But I very rarely use it! (Gives self a slapped wrist!)
I am very sorry that I was unable to add better infos and answers for you! But I certainly feel that yo need to spend around 100 UK Pounds for something good, and read the relevant tests through first! Like this maybe:-
Regards
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
A cutting disk makes your statement fully correct of course!

For the Bump key idea from someone else here, Bump keys need to be the right profile or very close to work smoothly, but I was unable to find a same/similar profile here in Germany for either.
I was also unable to even get a key cut for either for the same reasons. Nothing even "close but no cigar!"
Probably models available only in the Far East (guessing only!), but I have not tried there, but not having them here was a nice and very positive surprise!
Some years ago I wanted a spare battery key for my previous e-bike, the only key blank available here was about a one mm thicker, so I had the key cut, and it did not fit of course, so I filed the thickness down.
It then worked fine!
Of course an engineering shop might be able to make something close enough, but who would go to that amount of trouble! The cutting disk will simply be used!
Regards
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The lockpicking lawyer is so far undefeated by any lock hes picked them all
get him to pick a locked apple phone :p

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and ebiker99

Jupe

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2022
I always lock mine with a couple of Kryptonite D locks, one long and one shorter shackle, along with the frame lock. I have taken lots of pictures of it locked liked this for the purposes of insurance, if some determined bastard nicks it. Also remove the display...

Have fun with your new bike, I love mine so much. It's the Raleigh Motus Grand Tour so has the same motor as yours. I have become so much fitter over the last 18 months/3000 miles!
Hi am new to ebikes, but excited to get Raleigh Motus GT on Saturday!! You mention the Kryptonite DLock? Which one will fit the RMGT? I need to get one for the new bike.