Help! Best of conversion kits review

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Is there a review on this site comparing conversion kits by any chance or is it just a browsing exercise which is necessary? Thanks Ian

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
I'm afraid its a browsing exercise. And lots of careful reading between the lines; where people have left reviews or comments you will often learn more about the reviewer than the product.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Post a link to the kit and folks with give their opinions on it, in the main part they will work but not always as we have seen of late.

Reactions: ian Tweedie

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Also say
  • What you expect to use the kit for? (range, hills, on/off road, weight, your fitness)
  • How much you expect or are willing to pay?
  • How good are you at bike mechanics (fitting kits is mostly not hard)?
  • How expert at bike electrics?
    • If you buy a complete kit from the likes of Woosh you know it will all work together and you'll get expert after sales advice if needed. (That was the route I went.)
    • If you are happy to buy separately you might save a bit or get something more tailored to your needs, but there are lots of compatibility pitfalls from electrical details to connector types.
    • Post on here and you will get advice on what to buy, and if you've chosen separate bits whether they will work together.
Good luck

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Also say
  • What you expect to use the kit for? (range, hills, on/off road, weight, your fitness)
  • How much you expect or are willing to pay?
  • How good are you at bike mechanics (fitting kits is mostly not hard)?
  • How expert at bike electrics?
    • If you buy a complete kit from the likes of Woosh you know it will all work together and you'll get expert after sales advice if needed. (That was the route I went.)
    • If you are happy to buy separately you might save a bit or get something more tailored to your needs, but there are lots of compatibility pitfalls from electrical details to connector types.
    • Post on here and you will get advice on what to buy, and if you've chosen separate bits whether they will work together.
Good luck
All good practical advice! Thanks Ian

Domm

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2016
Sussex
Yes I'd like to see this too. I would guess a lot of people would. Short of some heroic effort to buy all kits and compare them is there a techie way to collate this info from around this site?.... Or is that just called the search bar?! ;D

Bogmonster666

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I think a lot of folks will often sing the praises (or complain bitterly) on the kit they have selected. I am going through the process of selecting a kit (well, I have selected one, just waiting for stock). It feels like buying shoes online. Never really sure if they will fit and be comfortable. I think there is no substitute for try before you buy but that isn't alleys easy with kits or indeed ebikes. And just like shoes, what I find fits me probably won't fit you.

That said, the choice isn't that enormous for UK road legal kits (accepting that's not what everybody wants). I think it is relatively quick to whittle down the options.