Best puncture resistant tyres?

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
I have my eye on a few main competitors, from Schwalbe and Continental.

Does anyone have any comparison/experience between these sets of tires? I'm thinking all of them are in the same ballpark in regards to puncture resistance.
Thanks in advance, bros.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I have my eye on a few main competitors, from Schwalbe and Continental.

Does anyone have any comparison/experience between these sets of tires? I'm thinking all of them are in the same ballpark in regards to puncture resistance.
Thanks in advance, bros.

Never had a Conti, but used Schwalbe a lot. Never had a puncture with a Marathon plus. Most recently fitted a Marathon e-plus on the rear. Complete beast of a tyre, seriously tough.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I used Conti Top Contact tyres for a while. they have really good grip, but the sidewalls broke up after a very short time to the extent that the inner tube was bulging through. They weren't strong enough for the motor's torque. i heard that they strengthened them since then.

Marathon Plus are brilliant. No punctures in 6000 miles despite getting a 3" nail buried 2" into the tyre. Wear is minimal. I estimate around 8000 miles from the rear. The downside is that they're only adequate for grip.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44 and mt247

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
I used Conti Top Contact tyres for a while. they have really good grip, but the sidewalls broke up after a very short time to the extent that the inner tube was bulging through. They weren't strong enough for the motor's torque. i heard that they strengthened them since then.

Marathon Plus are brilliant. No punctures in 6000 miles despite getting a 3" nail buried 2" into the tyre. Wear is minimal. I estimate around 8000 miles from the rear. The downside is that they're only adequate for grip.
Yeah both contact plus and contact plus city are ECE-R75-certified now days. So they are different from top contacts.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Apart from price, what is the difference between the PLUS and the non plus Marathon tyres? Is it worth paying the extra?

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
Apart from price, what is the difference between the PLUS and the non plus Marathon tyres? Is it worth paying the extra?
Marathon has the worst puncture protection, then comes the marathon plus and finally the marathon e-plus should have the best puncture protection.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Marathon has the worst puncture protection, then comes the marathon plus and finally the marathon e-plus should have the best puncture protection.
When you say "worst" I assume you mean "least good" in comparison. The plus seems to have something called "smartguard".
Actually I have a Marathon (not plus) on my non E Brompton. Main thing is that they are a real pain to put on, at least at such a small size.

Reactions: Grebacwhite

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When you say "worst" I assume you mean "least good" in comparison. The plus seems to have something called "smartguard".
Actually I have a Marathon (not plus) on my non E Brompton. Main thing is that they are a real pain to put on, at least at such a small size.
It's only the Brompton that they're difficult to put on because of the weird size of the rim.

• :D
Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020

I've seen some reviews of people saying Schwalbe tyres are a pain to fit, but I've had quite a few and have never had any problems, from 16" to 700c wheel sizes.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
It's quite easy to put on if you know the right technique:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Another vote for Marathon Plus, and Marathon Plus Tour. Not tried Conti.

Downsides are: heavy, not very good grip in mud, especially sideways grip. But the upside makes those well worth it for me.

Reactions: Croxden and mt247

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Never done a comparison 'cause I fitted Marathon plusses and never had a puncture. Have worn one tyre down to blue reinforcement (front hub motor in very hilly terrain) and still not had a puncture.
Grip is fine on tarmac, sketchy on gravel - never go on mud 'cause my mom shouts at me !:cool:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have MP's on my road e-bike and have never had a puncture but going downhill on a heavy e-bike on wet roads the grip is iffy at best snd scary at worst so care needs to be taken. On the off road bikes I finally went tubeless, overcoming the worry ormf refiling which turned out to be really easy with the right kit.

Reactions: mt247

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
It's quite easy to put on if you know the right technique:
It also depends on what rims you're using. With some wheels, no matter how good your technique is, marathon plus tyres are a PITA to put on compared to other types!!

Reactions: mt247

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have just changed tack on the rear of my hard tail Haibike and fitted a 2.35 heavy duty larger volume down hill style tyre and gone tubeless.

The idea is to retain puncture resistance and have better performance off road and be able to run lower pressures for a less harsh ride and be kinder to my back wheel as I am heavy and carry full panniers and have one steep downhill off road section with two drop offs that mean all the wheels are off the ground before landing below the steps at about 20mph so a bit of cushioning at the rear where there is no suspension cannot be a bad thing.

It is too early for a definitive review but off road in the mud it is a definite improvement. I ride to work 12 miles off road and then return 10 miles on the road.

I am sure it adds resistance/drag on the road but last night using the same power levels as normal I still managed to average around 20mph for my 10 mile road ride home, though it feels like I am working harder to achieve it than on a marathon plus. I also used the same amount of battery as makes no odds.

I guess considerations about resistance are relevant but I thought as my journey home is only 10 miles and I do have a motor after all I would see how it went.

I think I will stick with it through the Winter and then perhaps change over when the better weather returns.

I do have a spare rear wheel that I put a 2 inch width marathon plus mountain bike tyre on and also a spar cassette I had and a rotor so it can be just slotted in if required.

It might be interesting to use it one day as a direct comparison.

Having said all that for minimal hassle just fit some marathon plus tubed tyres, take a bit more care in the wet and cold, and they will last ages and you would be very unlucky to get a puncture, certainly on the road.

Last edited:

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Has anyone actually tried the Marathon Plus WINTER tires (with studs etc?) .. not sure we ever have enough ice cover to make them a viable option, and I guess the grip on wet tarmac would be even worse than vanilla MP, but maybe someone has actual experience?

Reactions: atheo