Best security locks?

RichD1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2021
Just about to take delivery of my first ebike. What does everyone recommend for security locks. I'm looking for something which is not too have so can be carried in a backpack.

Do you leave the battery attached or take with you?

Richard

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any lock with a cable is going to be pants when it comes to cutting off, typically less then 10 secs. A decent D lock is the only thing to use but decent means heavy 1.5 - 2kg and one that can resist for a minute or two of a grinding to stand any chance.
Each wheel needs securing.
For effect one could install a 110/120db motion alarm, might deter some other wise most people won't bad an eyelid or challenge someone.

On guard Brute is a pretty good for a mid budget price.
Other wis eone ahs to look at Abus Granite or Krptonite offerings.

Last edited:

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Just about to take delivery of my first ebike. What does everyone recommend for security locks. I'm looking for something which is not too have so can be carried in a backpack.

Richard
Get a rear parcel rack & buy the thickest D locks you can. Don't worry about the weight - you have a motor!
I always take the battery with me, as who is going to nick a ebike & then spend hundreds to buy a battery that might not be suitable as how can you sell a non working ebike - its a bike with heavy non working bits added.

Reactions: RichD1

RichD1

Aug 29, 2021
Yeah, the bike has a rear rack, didn't think about that. Cheers.

Richard

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Anything less then 15mm is easiest to grind thru or crop thru, one has to think of the most portable easiest tool that might be used like a 100mm cordless grinder.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

Richard
It is a condition of the insurance I am covered by that I use the supplied Kryptonite lock.

Doesn't stop it getting nicked, but does mean I wouldn't be paying for it.

My bike always has bright red panniers on it, and often a bright yellow trailer, so very noticeable. Overnight it is either outside my tent, or the island side of a ferry, so not exposed really.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Anything less then 15mm is easiest to grind thru or crop thru, one has to think of the most portable easiest tool that might be used like a 100mm cordless grinder.
This is the problem, and the stock in trade answer for anyone inquiring about a strong lock. Cordless grinders can cut off about any lock.
But i think it comes down to where and when you lock it.

Being insured, and not the lock insurance and i'd wager if you tried to claim, there would be stipulations and fine print clauses that would prevent any claim from going through. So the best safest thing is to get a gold rated(By sold secure) lock of any type and to have the bike insured through an insurance company- either a specialized bike one or your home insurance.

Im also considering buying a bike cover, to put over the bike so it at least is hidden from prying eyes.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Richard
Any lock can be defeated in seconds. Despite owning a D-lock and a long cable, I take my entire ebike in with me - it folds into a big black canvass bag and gets carted about on a small folding trolley, which I carry in my rucksack, or I use a shopping trolley. Sounds a bit nuts, but it works.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Any lock can be defeated in seconds. Despite owning a D-lock and a long cable, I take my entire ebike in with me - it folds into a big black canvass bag and gets carted about on a small folding trolley, which I carry in my rucksack, or I use a shopping trolley. Sounds a bit nuts, but it works.
Can't live your life in fear of the unknown. It will have an impact upon your mental health.
I use An Abus Bordo Granit Xplus 6500 Which is a pretty strong lock at it goes and will defeat anything bar a grinder.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can't live your life in fear of the unknown. It will have an impact upon your mental health.
Nah, my bike being stolen would make me mad(der).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do that conversion and reduce worrying. <1k is better than losing your peachy 5k machine.

innate

Aug 7, 2020
To lock up my Cube Reaction Hybrid I have two Kryptonite D-locks for the wheels (and frame) and one short Kryptonite chain for the frame and battery housing. I also use a long cable wrapped tightly around the battery housing looped through the frame behind the motor and then secured to the handlebars by a heavy-duty padlock. You’re never going to be completely secure but if there are more locks on yours than the other bikes nearby they’ll take one of the others.

For insurance purposes always take photos of the bike when you’ve locked it up.

innate

Aug 7, 2020
To lock up my Cube Reaction Hybrid I have two Kryptonite D-locks for the wheels (and frame) and one short Kryptonite chain for the frame and battery housing. I also use a long cable wrapped tightly around the battery housing looped through the frame behind the motor and then secured to the handlebars by a heavy-duty padlock. You’re never going to be completely secure but if there are more locks on yours than the other bikes nearby they’ll take one of the others.

For insurance purposes always take photos of the bike when you’ve locked it up.
I meant to say that the three locks, padlock and three loops probably weigh about 8kgs but in my backpack with the motor helping the ride I don’t notice the weight once I’m on the move. Also, I don’t take the battery with me.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
There is a new anti-grinder lock available, but its i think over two hundred quid and weighs a fair old whack. Been mentioned on here before in one of the 150 'what lock' threads.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I found this chart only 5 locks that can withstand a portable grinder attack for more then 60 seconds. It doesn't include the the new super lock.
bike lock tests.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Any lock can be defeated in seconds.
Not true. Watch and be impressed:

2.5 angle grinder discs with a mains grinder, not battery. And he's huffing a bit from the effort.

And words if you don't like vids:

Bike Social is a trustworthy (motorbike) site and not biased in their reviews, it's not an advertorial.
But you're going to have to spend around £250.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

JB0311

Jan 31, 2022
Hello, i think that is a good idea! Whereabouts can i buy a canvas bag too, please?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hello, i think that is a good idea! Whereabouts can i buy a canvas bag too, please?

This is the bag I use. It's too big, but the material is easy enough to wrap around my bike. Not a padded bag:

Reactions: JB0311

JB0311

Jan 31, 2022
Blimey that’s huge lol well I am gonna have a look later to see if I can find something similar to that, thanks for letting me know too.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi Richard,

It depends where you are going to leave it. If you are going to leave an ebike all day somewhere it doesn't matter what you do it will be stolen. As others have mentioned, portable battery angle grinders will have your security removed in second. At home in my garage I have a
Evolution 1090 Integrated Chain - 10 mm X 90 cm Sold Secure Gold

That connects to a solid ground anchor imbedded deeply in my concrete garage floor. I have 3 security cameras, security lighting and additional garage door security, and two alarms. When I take my bike out and nip into a shop I use one of these ABUS folding locks - Locks - Bike safety and security They are not resistant to bolt cutters or nut splitters, or angle grinders, however they come with a mount that fits to your bottle cage mountings and it doesn't rattle. I've also had the Kryptonite U locks like the Forget about it, they are sturdy but rattle like hell if attached to your frame, I lost mine when it fell off doing a down hill, £90 down the drain.

I never remove the battery, but never leave my bike for more than a couple of minutes. Actually that's not entirely true. When I went for my third Covid vaccination there was a tyre fitting business across the road and I asked them if they would look after my bike while I got jabbed. They were nice lads and the manager said yes, no problem, they let me use their toilet as well when I got back. I'm not generally that dependant on other people, but a bit of respect and a bit of banter can work wonders.

Tip of the day. If you have home contents or building insurance, you can insure your bike for next to nothing. I paid £175 last year for my £100,000 contents and£2M building through my mortgage company. I declared my ebike as a £5 k asset and got charged an extra £35 for the year, that covers at home and away from home and third party liability, thank you Nationwide. Just to be sure I don't work for them LOL.

Last edited: