Best UK battery pack assembler?

Gorillazilla

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 9, 2021
Does anyone know of a good battery pack assembler here in the UK?

All the best 18650 and similar cells are not even made in china, so the cell cost will be similar whether the pack is assembled here or in china.

Just the assembly work portion of the total cost will be higher which is fine because I don't like the way china is behaving.

I'd be looking for Em3EV level quality for maximum safety, because "buy nice or buy twice"

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: artspeck

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Jimmy at INSAT will give you the choice of 18650 Batteries both Manufacturer and Ah Capacity . I have had 2 re-cells done there on different Ebikes and he is good to deal with .

Gorillazilla

Oct 9, 2021
Cheers! They look pretty good.

Though not too sure about the copper interconnects thing, don't they need to be nickel for cell level fusing to work?

Where the interconnects safely open if a short circuit happens?

What other options are there from the UK? Preferably EM3ev quality of pack construction

Gorillazilla

Oct 9, 2021
Jimmy at INSAT will give you the choice of 18650 Batteries both Manufacturer and Ah Capacity . I have had 2 re-cells done there on different Ebikes and he is good to deal with .
Can he do packs with cell holders, and cell level fusing with a smart BMS to balance the cells at 80% charge without needing to be charged to 100% to balance?

I want to get the most out of the cells by only charging them to 80%

And compensating by just having a bigger battery, basically a Triangle pack as big as what will fit into the frame of a Hardtail mountain bike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
copper conducts electric better than nickle so less resistance but he can use silver if you want to pay more as it is the best.

as for fuses ect id ask him but it will cost more in labour but thats up to you.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
copper conducts electric better than nickle so less resistance but he can use silver if you want to pay more as it is the best.

as for fuses ect id ask him but it will cost more in labour but thats up to you.
Discuss it with Jimmy and he will give you options and cost .

Gorillazilla

Oct 9, 2021

Will do, cheers!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh cell fusing for the general e bike batteries we carry isn't necessary.

Gorillazilla

Oct 9, 2021
Tbh cell fusing for the general e bike batteries we carry isn't necessary.
Why is that? EM3ev know their stuff, and I wouldn't think they would put it in their packs if they could leave it out and save money

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They sell kits and batteries, the chance of some dick trying to connect one of their batteries with controller current too high for it will save the battery from melt down, they are protecting their design and build process. Certainly a very large multicell battery it makes more sense but not a small 40/50 cell ebike battery.

Some guys on ES experiment but for the most part the guys use much larger packs then we do and more powerful ones current wise as well and use tried and tested older procedures.