Best waterproof Bafang male 5 pin connector type?

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 33385

Blast. The male connector broke, as I was removing the programming cable. What remains of the male connector works fine, but is no longer waterproof. I would simply solder the wires, but I may need to re-program again. Is there a better quality waterproof connector available of this type, or am I going to have to get another male version of these? Is there an alternative type of 5 pin waterproof connector I could use, which is more robust?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

A single male 5 pin connector is about a fiver, but a whole loom is £13 - better to not have to do any soldering... because I'm very bad at soldering... it's also handy to have spares... so I've just ordered another 1T4 loom, but there's got to be a small waterproof 5 pin connector design, stronger than these naff ones somewhere.

Last edited:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
After connecting them together, wrap some satelite/aeriel amalgamating tape around it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Higo are Bafang connectors and almost identical to Julet, have used both and have never broken or had one snap yet.

D

Deleted member 33385

After connecting them together, wrap some satelite/aeriel amalgamating tape around it.
Good idea - I've ordered some. I've been meaning to seal all of the loom connections, and it'd be easier to remove if needed, than marine 3:1 heat shrink.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Higo are Bafang connectors and almost identical to Julet, have used both and have never broken or had one snap yet.
Had to change the firmware handle throttle from "Current" control to "Speed" control, because it lurches less on "Speed", also lowered the start current. The connector on the programming cable is particularly tight - must have weakened after much pulling apart. Or I've been very heavy handed, which is highly likely.

D

Deleted member 33385

The new 1T4 loom is shorter, which will fit my small folding bike better anway - will be fewer loops than this lol:

...but regrettably, less Borg-like.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yours is the first one we have heard on the forum of breaking and of the various forums I have been on not come across the issue before.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I can see the female connector is a Higo, which are arguably the best connectors, but is the broken male connector a Higo? I'd be surprised if it were, as I've wiggled and pulled apart my Higo connectors many times, and they have never broken.

They are difficult to disconnect, but that's just down to the inherent design, to ensure waterproofing and that they don't just pull apart easily whilst in use.

The trick is to use a gentle wiggle motion, whilst simultaneously pulling.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Higo or Julet they both are very similar and compatible fit wise however, one can't use Higo with Julet and vice versa as the wire sequence is different. Unless you just use tails and note the wire sequence and wire it your self.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike