Better Dynamo Headlamp for Agattu

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
My Agattu's headlamp has had an unfortunate accident :( and, while it sort-of works again, it really does need to be replaced.

I'm not keen to replace it with the standard B&M for 2 reasons i) someone's review said that it's quite adequete in town but isn't really good enough in the dark countryside and I'd agree with that ii) it hasn't been the epitome of reliability, the light flickering and going off with a monotonous regularity. I had similar troubles with a similar B&M on my Brompton, until replacing it with a Schmidt - which was expensive but has been perfectly reliable. The trouble with the B&M lies with the lack of any positive location for the bulb in my view.

My mate tells me Schmidt lights won't work with the Shimano Hub-Dynamo on the Agattu. Does anyone know if this is true? (The Brommie already had a Schmidt hub-dynamo, lucky me :p )

Even more juicy might be a 2W LED dynamo headlamp. Does such a beast exist? Would they fit the Agattu? Would I have any problems with the wiring?

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.