Better gloves or bar mitts??

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
hey guys.

with the high cost of getting my electric bike sorted and all the accessories i am loathe to spend much more but i may have to.

i have some thick, padded motorcycle gloves, fabric not leather. really warm usually. i also have some thin liner type gloves.

over the last few days it has been as low as -4 this morning. overall with both these on my hands aren't warm but they're not freezing either. apart from my thumb that is. as i am on the brakes a lot due to riding with traffic, my fingers are stretched out on the brake lever quite often leaving my thumbs to fend for themselves. even with both gloves on they get freezing.

last night, ready for this morning, i cut the ankle part off my 6 year old's socks and put the rest, the foot part, over the thumb and attached with an elastic band creating a baggy sort of extra layer. not bad but not ideal.

so, do i get ANOTHER pair of gloves that may be no better than the existing set up or opt for bar mitts, moose mitts or whatever else they are called?

with all the gizmos such as bike computer, ebike controller etc they would have to fit over all that. any suggestions?

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
hi marc.knuckle i to had this problem a couple of years back, i bought a pair of heated gloves from maplins, they work of 3 tripple a batterys come in three sizes. about 10 pounds.and are great at keeping the cold air from blasting thru your fingers. i also have a pair of sealskin gloves these;s are water proof and work great got them at army surplus store online .

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
If I were commuting in this weather I'd seriously consider a set of bar muffs, or brush guards at the very minimum, to take the wind blast off the fingers. They make one helluva difference.