BH Emotion serious problems

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That's possible, Trex. Another possibility is that the wire from which the spokes were made was the wrong grade. Several manufacturers have had batches of bikes with failing spokes. I myself have had one wheel from BMSBattery where the spokes kept breaking even though I kept it true and properly tensioned. The spokes and rim were the same as all the others I've had that didn't break even when not properly tensioned. I suspect that the Chinese spoke-makers don't have adequate quality controls to guarantee the properties of the wire they receive, and that sometimes it's too hard, causing premature fatigue failures.
unless you specify stainless steel spokes with your order, I suspect they fitted carbon steel spokes to your wheel. If you still have the broken spokes, it's easy to see the difference in colour. Carbon steel spokes are plated to look more like aluminum. I would not have thought BH would fit c*** spokes to their bikes.

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
Just to share my pain after another intensely frustrating afternoon.

I was told I could collect the bike at 3:30, so I trek down to Battersea. Am told that they haven't yet collected the wheel so I need to go away for another hour. So I waste an hour and come back. Only to be told that BH sent the wrong spokes and they only just found this out.

So off I go home again with no bike.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Are they going to extend the warranty by the amount of time you haven't been able to use it?
By the time you get it back you wont have time to test the repair properly.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
a little off topic, but this video may help maloflora taking the immediate problem off his mind:
how a Taiwanese wheel builder tests his wheel:

[video=youtube;k8aEcVcaNqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8aEcVcaNqE[/video]

I get the same crunching sound from my four month old front forks!

The new ones should be fitted sometime after Xmas, but good luck to anyone else that ever needs a set replaced!
Just to calify the systems.

SR forks are looked after Greyville in the uk.

So if any bike has these forks and there is a problem, the bike shop should send the forks back to Greyville for warranty work.

So the problem with the forks not being sorted fast enough isn't really anything to do with BH, it's all down to your dealer and Greyville. BH shouldn't even really need to be contacted about that problem.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Just to calify the systems.

SR forks are looked after Greyville in the uk.

So if any bike has these forks and there is a problem, the bike shop should send the forks back to Greyville for warranty work.

So the problem with the forks not being sorted fast enough isn't really anything to do with BH, it's all down to your dealer and Greyville. BH shouldn't even really need to be contacted about that problem.
Now that's interesting as BH UK stated in writing that Suntour don't have UK representation. It has taken BH UK this long to find a set, and even then they are in black, not white.
I currently can't access emails, but apparently the Xtrem has an odd stem size, which again was something that was causing issue. When I can access the emails, I shall state the size.

I'll point your comment out to them.

In any event, there is no excuse for such poor quality finish on the forks.

edit... I should have added that as well as the corrosion, neither the dampner control or lock out control function any more.

I really had my heart set on buying a NEO Race and BH have been kind enough to offer me a discount, but I have currently been put off buying the bike, by the two seemingly very basic problems in this thread that have not been resolved in a satisfactory and acceptable time period. Given that many potential buyers read forums, BH aren't doing themselves nor their potential sales any good.
I still really love this bike and have done much to recommend it when out riding, but not any more.

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure what's gone on there then.... Very strange.

As I don't know the details I can't comment on what's caused your problems, but as a bike brand BH wouldn't be expected to keep stock or spares for the SR range of forks. They'd rely on SR themselves to support the dealer / customer networks.

https://www.greyville.com/brands/40527568-sr-suntour

Or it might be down to the European service centre, but we've never had a problem with any of the sr forks so we've not had to tests their systems.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
as a bike brand BH wouldn't be expected to keep stock or spares for the SR range of forks. They'd rely on SR themselves to support the dealer / customer networks.

You have stated pretty much word for word what was relayed to me by BH. It's just a shame that they didn't seem aware of greyville.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the link. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Well I'm not sure what's gone on there then.... Very strange.

As I don't know the details I can't comment on what's caused your problems, but as a bike brand BH wouldn't be expected to keep stock or spares for the SR range of forks. They'd rely on SR themselves to support the dealer / customer networks.
Maybe the forks are cheap Chinese knock-offs specially for BH Emotion!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Also to be fair to BH, it's the dealer who should have known about the SR warranty process, they (the dealer) should have gone straight to Greyville, or SR, not BH really.

That doesn't appear to be true for BH.

I have 'somehow' obtained a 'dealer book' and it clearly states that the dealer contacts BH and that the BH after sales department will evaluate the problem and that once evaluation has been carried out, the aftersales department will then issue an RMA (Return Material Authorization)to BH bikes Europe for checking and that the aftersales department repairs/replaces, and sends back to dealer.

The book is also actually quite a negative eye opener when it comes to trade prices for consumables and spare parts.

Last edited:

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
I haven't read the whole thread, but if it were me, I'd by knocking on Trading Standards' door.. It is not the purchaser's job to go hither and thither over defective items. I appreciate that the buck may land at the LBS, but they have the lever with the distribtor or BH: Betther quality or no orders. Only way that works, sometimes.

That doesn't appear to be true for BH.

I have 'somehow' obtained a 'dealer book' and it clearly states that the dealer contacts BH and that the BH after sales department will evaluate the problem and that once evaluation has been carried out, the aftersales department will then issue an RMA (Return Material Authorization)to BH bikes Europe for checking and that the aftersales department repairs/replaces, and sends back to dealer.

The book is also actually quite a negative eye opener when it comes to trade prices for consumables and spare parts.
Interesting, the wording of that document would interest me. BH will / should handle the warranty for all BH branded products, and should be the first point of contact, but If the fault was found to be with a non BH part ie like nexus hubs, that would then go back to shimano for warranty, any Bosch parts would go to Bosch, and SR suntour forks are i believe handled by greyville. etc etc.

What I can't understand in these two cases is why the dealer hasn't helped you out with replacement forks / spokes and then they just sorted credit notes from BH. Is not a complicated system.

And as is the case in most industries, the spares and servicing is where shops make their money. They don't make that much of the bikes themselves. If you want to cut shops out of the equation that's an option that's open to you with many brands, personally I think a network of retailers is vitally important to the industry and to cyclists generally, so we offer our bikes to them to sell, rather than cut them out and sell direct.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The approach by BH is certainly a very long winded one, and the system isn't made any easier with the UK element having to deal with Spain. There are just too many people in the loop. I can certainly see that by just letting a dealer get on with handling any warranty issue, then things should be made far easier.
I guess that only sad issue with that happening, could be when the dealer themselves is then refused reimbursement by the manufacturer/importers for work carried out or parts supplied.

As for the spoke issue, the trade price for a complete 26" wheel* with motor and tyre is 200euro. Presumably BH are still making money out of the dealer at that price, so you have to wonder why the complete wheel just hasn't been replaced. It would certainly be cheaper than bad feed back, along with a customer that would probably never buy another product from the same manufacturer.

* the price for a 27" wheel can't be very much different.