Bicycle got submerged in water now permanently on full throttle

shueyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2011
Hi
First post and a bit of a newbie . I have a Synergie Mistral folder which fell into a river !! Having fished it ut and allowed a few days to dry of it seemed fine until I turned the key and it shot of on its own with out the throttle being twisted ! Any help as to a possible fix would be appreciated or do I need to buy a new controller ?

Thanks in advance

Hugh

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi you need to open the controller and dry it our with a hair dryer it wont dry out on its own

It may recover

also unplug the throttle from the controller that will tell you if that is still wet inside coursing the problem

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

Probably water in the throttle. The hall sensor is often stuffed into a tight space from which it would be difficult to remove the water, which would short it out and cause the symptoms you describe. If you're lucky the throttle will have a little panel held in by a screw that can be removed, otherwise you have to remove the throttle from the handlebars before prising it apart. It could be water in the controller or the throttle connector, like Frank says, but my money's on the throttle. So I'd start with the connector because that's the easiest, then the throttle, then the controller. It's probably a good idea to open the controller anyway because any water in there will cause problems. Normally they're fairly water-tight, but you should check it.

shueyh

Feb 28, 2011
Guys many thanks for the replies they were a great help. I have dried the controller and bingo problem solved !!, BUT took it out for a test drive yesterday and battery suddenly died. So now I have taken the battery apart and it is still very wet. Hopefully when I get it dried it will recover. I needed a new battery anyway so will probably bite the bullet and buy one.

Thanks again.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
:D WAIT A MINUTE ;)

You cannot just leave like that.

How can you start a thread "My bike fell in a river" and just leave it.

What is the rest of the story?

Steve

shueyh

Feb 28, 2011
Hi back again, dried out the battery and recharged, now the throttle works for a few minutes with low torque ( only works when of the ground ) and then stops. All battery led's are lit. The pedal assist does not work at all now. In assuming the controller has eventually died ? or has the motor or battery died ? a bit stumped as to my next move buy a new battery, or controller or both ? Expensive to make the wrong decision.
Thanks for any advice
PS
Steve ..I'm way too embarrassed to continue the story suffice to say I went into the river with the bike !! and came out very bruised from rocks and of course very wet !