Bicycle Repair - Plastic Parts

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I bought some UV glue to repair the bracket on my nephew's LCD, but he didn't keep the part that broke off, so I had to replace the bracket. I've therefore had the UV glue sitting around waiting for something to repair.

Last night I broke my glasses. the hinge snapped in two so the arm fell off. My eye test is out of date and this was the only pair I had, so I was in a bit of trouble until I remembered the UV glue. This stuff is incredibly strong. I did some tests on plastic first and found that the repair was stronger than before I broke/cut it. It doesn't work like ordinary glue. It's more like welding, which you do from the outside. You need the UV to be able to shine through the transparent glue to set it. If the light is blocked, the glue doesn't set.

This stuff is incredible. It'll repair just about anything - maybe even broken spokes!

This is the kit I bought. I guess they all work the same. It looks like you can even get different colours:

Here's the repair. It seems to be a lot stronger than before I broke them. You wouldn't even notice the repair.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I just tried it on a spoke. I cut the spoke with bolt-croppers, then glued it back together. It seems to be strong enough. I'll leave it for a couple of days to fully harden, then test it.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
The added bonus is that (now you've fixed your glasses) you can use the UV torch to check for forged bank notes

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
. I'll leave it for a couple of days to fully harden, then test it.
Let us know if it holds up. Sounds like useful stuff for my motorbike emergency bodge kit.

Did you key the metal first or just slap the glue straight on the smooth spoke?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Let us know if it holds up. Sounds like useful stuff for my motorbike emergency bodge kit.

Did you key the metal first or just slap the glue straight on the smooth spoke?
No preparation, I just glued the two parts together.

I tested this stuff with my teeth. It seems to be extremely hard. The spoke is now easily strong enough in tension. When it's fully cured, I'll see how easy it is to snap.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Isn't that the stuff Dentists use on fillings ? I remember years ago seeing a Dentist put some kind of glue on some ones gnashers then shine a tiny light on them for a few seconds. It's been around for years but not commercially available, thanks for the tip vfr.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Isn't that the stuff Dentists use on fillings ? I remember years ago seeing a Dentist put some kind of glue on some ones gnashers then shine a tiny light on them for a few seconds. It's been around for years but not commercially available, thanks for the tip vfr.
Yes, had my tooth filled with it last week, tooth coloured uv glue. Temporary repair till things get back to normal.