big bear?

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i am not the right height for the big bear but thats not important because i,m still doing research for others as i seem to get questioned on a regular basis by work colegues ,friends and family.
i don,t mind doing this as its interesting.
what i would like to know is (appart from size) is there any disdvantages to the big bear because from what i can gather it climbs well and its spec is good for the price
it constantly gets recommended on this forum
i cannot see any reason for getting any of the other models in this range of bike appart from price [and size]
but in a world where you rarely get something that excells at everything and is suitable for all can anyone say if this one of those rarities that is good at everything.
if it is not suitable for everyone and application then what type of user is this best suited for?
thanks

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Woosh website says that it is good at climbing average hills but you would better off with a crank drive (CD) model if you live in a very hilly area.
The Mountain Bike style will not be to everyone's liking, As the motor is geared for climbing it will be less efficient for travelling fast.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Mountain Bike style will not be to everyone's liking, As the motor is geared for climbing it will be less efficient for travelling fast.
That new step-thru model probably epitomises all that ebikes in the Dutch style should be expected to provide. If it goes well up the hills and makes life easier in the wind, nobody, (I would think) purchasing such a bike would be unhappy at not being able to get much above the legally-permitted limit.

15 mph is a decent pace when one is seated upright on a comfortable bike in my experience anyway.

Tom

D

Deleted member 4366

The Woosh website says that it is good at climbing average hills but you would better off with a crank drive (CD) model if you live in a very hilly area.
Efficiency won't be an issue. It's a slow wind motor. It'll achieve good efficiency between about 9 and 15 mph.

According to Trex, they've increased the current for even better climbing power. I'd be very surprised if you didn't need less effort to climb steep hills than your average Bosch bike.

To answer OP's question, Woosh sell direct, which gives them a considerable price advantage compared with selling through dealers like other brands. There's nothing exotic about their bikes, They're robust no-nonsense bikes, and compared with similar bikes, they're not the best looking because they have no fancy colours and decals that would add cost.

The main disadvantage of the Big Bear is its weight. The motor is nearly 2kg heavier than a lower powered one, and the bigger battery is also more than a kg heavier than the smaller ones, so, at 27kg, it's heavier than most modern bikes, but that's a small price for having that relaxing power.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for all the info
so i could recommend this to someone who is more likely to take advantage of the motor and not too concerned with much input from themselves.
the extra weight could be an issue for some but i suppose you don,t get anything for nothing.
the stepthrough model is a great idea and may help some to cope with the extra weight and the problems that may occur with trying to get your leg over a cross bar type.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's about it. It was designed for a purpose. Those that want a light-weight sporty bike will look elsewhere.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
the stepthrough model is a great idea and may help some to cope with the extra weight and the problems that may occur with trying to get your leg over a cross bar type.
That's me. I bought a step through model Freego Eagle. So I am certain I would like the Big Bear step through. I bought step through style because I need it to be easy to get onto, and be comfortable. Right now I need plenty of assist, but even after about a week, I am dialing the assist down to medium, instead of full, and feeling good with the exercise I am getting.

Reactions: peerjay56