Bike advice quick release thru axle lever videos included

Murombew

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2020
Hello
my thru axle was installed for the last time before breaking here
the installation thru axle before it broke

then after me explaining in the video and the issue as it stands now.
the issue
im looking for a solution to get this axle out, plan to go to shop monday.

the issue written which can be seen and heard in above videos.

Installed the thru axle i always do, attempted to take it out at a stand. the axle level came off, screwed it back on it just came off again.
im looking for a solution on how to remove the axle out if anyone knows how.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Put two 6mm nuts on the threaded part. Using two spanners, lock them together by screwing the outer nut inwards and the inner one outwards, then use one spanner to unscrew the inner nut, which will remain locked to the thread and the other nut while you unscrew the axle. If the two nuts start to turn on the thread while you unscrew, lock them together tighter.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Murombew

Aug 4, 2020
like these

or these

these

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Put two 6mm nuts on the threaded part. Using two spanners, lock them together by screwing the outer nut inwards and the inner one outwards, then use one spanner to unscrew the inner nut, which will remain locked to the thread and the other nut while you unscrew the axle. If the two nuts start to turn on the thread while you unscrew, lock them together tighter.
If the two nuts are still turning after being made properly tight to each other, and if any oil or other lubricant has possibly got onto the thread, clean it off before screwing on the next two clean nuts on.....or clean out the nuts as well.
A drop of Methylated spirits on a clean piece of kitchen roll should do it.....
Happy New Year.
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Ordinary plain nuts like these. It doesn't make any difference what they're made of. Don't get flanged ones or nyloc. I'd be surprised if there isn't something in your garage that has them on it, so you can borrow them.

Last edited:

Murombew

Aug 4, 2020
pure electric did it!! they got it out with Halfords Self Grip Pliers 210mm