Bike Carrier for Ezee Sprint ?

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi,

I want to fit a carrier onto my Nissan Sunny 5 door hatchback (which has a small spoiler on the back). It would need to carry two sprint bikes - minus the batteries, of course, so the combined weight would be around 48-50 kgs, the sprint is a step thro so has no cross bar - so I'm not sure how it would fit onto a bike carrier. Any recommendations as to which carrier would be best, there seems to be quite a few around.

Many thanks
Jeanette

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry you haven't had a prompt answer Jeanette. I've never used these myself, but the following ones look suitable. Some of the following don't need crossbars as the bikes sit on their wheels.

This first link is for boot lid/hatch types, there's also a Ladies bike adaptor which could be used on the Sprints to use them on crossbar mounts:

Hatchrack

The only thing that worries me slightly is whether the weight of two Sprints, even without batteries, will be too much for the car hatch. Therefore the types that fit on top of a towbar might be better as the weight would not affect them. This next link shows those:

Towbar-rack

Hopefully someone with user experience of these will add to this posting.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S.

You'll also need to check that the longer wheelbase of the Sprint electric would still allow the wheels to sit on the mounts of the racks.

That introduces the other potential problem. Having the battery behind the seatpost makes this sort of electric bike longer than normal bikes, so there might be an issue with the bikes sticking out too far beyond the sides of the car.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Dear Flecc

Thanks very much for replying so soon - I had not considered the length of the bike, but I will look into the matter deeper and hope in the meantime that someone on the Forum may have experience of bike carriers. I really do find this Forum interesting and helpful, as well as encouraging this time of year when it is so easy not to bother with cycling !

kind regards
Jeanette

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Tow Ball Mounted Carriers For Sprint

Hi Jeanette:
I have experience of the Pendle Towbar fitting cycles carrier. It's ACE.
I carry a Torq and a Chopper without problems. The distance apart for the bits the wheels fit into are more than long enough - they are adjustable by telescopic slides that are secured by two allan key bolts on each. And they take those balloon tyres!
The kit come with the special fitting that fits between the ball and the tow bar frame that holds the tubes of the rack secured by a Clevis pin - you can bore out one of the holes that the pin goes through to take a long reach padlock that would deter thieves whilst the rack is necessarily on the car without the bikes. Oh! It has to be a Witter type bar so that you have two bolts at the back by which to attach the Pendle Rack. It is supplied with everything necessary for the job - Quick Release straps to secure the bikes: Lights/Number Plate fitting is attached to the frame: two extra long bolts to secure the frame AND the special fitment to hold the tubes of the rack. Check out the Pendle Bike Rack site on the 'net - all will be revealed. It ain't cheap about £160 including VAT AND your will need to have a Witter type tow bar fitted if you haven't got that. BUT it makes everything legal (even in fussy France).
Have a look on e-bay for a used one, or the CTC magazine - you could get it for half the retail price.
It really is the business and you don't have to be Precious Mackenzie (that's not rhyming slang) to get the bikes on (like a roof rack or other high lift fitting). It's easier to get the bikes to fit if one is placed pointing to the offside and the other to the nearside.
Best of luck
Itspeteinit