Bike covers/'thin sheds'??

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hasn't really bothered me with my ordinary bike, but now I'm moving rapidly towards owning an electric, it's more of a problem. Keeping bike dry for a few hours at a time (and the 'shed' is 50 yards from the front door!).

So, wanted: a thin bike cover, big enough for one bike, but not the sort that are like bits of macintosh that you have to spread out and cover. Something semi-permanent that you can wheel your bike into, then pull it out again. Not much room available for it.

Not secure (that's a separate issue), just rain-proof-ish.

Any ideas welcomed.

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E-bikes are often too long for standard bike covers, if they have the rear of seatpost battery. This bike cover is long enough to cover:

HD cover

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for those.

The Bike Cave looks the thing, but the reviews on Amazon are not that great - problems with zip and leakage. Shame, as the idea is sound.

The HD cover is fine - and I do keep forgetting how long the ebike's going to be. 'Bonthrone' seem to be off line, but you can get the same thing at other www bike shops.

Ta.

Allen.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Still sorting out my pending storage problem, and I think I might have to revert to the old-fashioned habit of keeping it in the hall of the flat (only us, so not vulnerable there).

But can anyone tell me approximately the LENGTH of a Wisper 905se City S, please?

Thanks.

Allen.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Still sorting out my pending storage problem, and I think I might have to revert to the old-fashioned habit of keeping it in the hall of the flat (only us, so not vulnerable there).

But can anyone tell me approximately the LENGTH of a Wisper 905se City S, please?

Thanks.

Allen.
About 6 foot, in the hallway I found width was more of a problem.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for the info Mussels, but you've got me interested in the width as well now! So how wide is it?

Allen.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks for the info Mussels, but you've got me interested in the width as well now! So how wide is it?

Allen.
The bike isn't especially wide but the handlebars get in the way, I looked for folding bars but there's nothing great on the market. Fortunately now I have a big shed to stick all the bikes in.

Regarding the length it's slightly bigger than all the bike storage I've seen and I think I worked out it would go in a 6x4 shed if it was at an angle.

Last edited:

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I used to keep my (unassisted) bike up on the wall in a tiny flat using a cycle hanger like the one at the top of this page:

Cycle Storage Solutions - Bike Stands, Hooks, Racks, hanger wall mount

If you can get the handlebars above head height then they don't get in the way so much.

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
leave the e bike in the garden

is it ok to leave an electric bike covered in the Garden?

when i get my new bike i was going to get a cover for it. i dont have any room in the shed for the bike so is it ok just to leave it covered in the garden?

the reason i ask is because its electric i am worried that the electric part of the bike could fail after being left in the elements for a long period of time. i dont have enough room to have it in the house so the only place left is the garden.

chrisc:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It should be ok if occasionally on warm or windy dry days you remove the cover and let the bike have a good airing for a few hours to ensure no build-up of condensation in housings like the controller and battery case.

Also make sure the bottom of tte cover is a few inches off the ground to ensure permanent air flow ventilation.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Gardens seem to be a popular area for bike thefts, probably because of a false sense of security:rolleyes:

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
thanks guys. i might get a fold bike so i can but it in my shed. i am a bit worried about the security of the bike.

:D

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
The man at Wisper warned me against charging the battery outside, particularly if there was any chance of rain.

But I am a little puzzled by flecc's note about condensation etc. - are ebikes really that sensitive (unlike most motor-bikes, for example, which are designed to be ridden in all sorts of weather)?

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But I am a little puzzled by flecc's note about condensation etc. ?
Inevitably the bike will on occasions be damp to some extent when covered, and temperature variations will cause evaporation. Trapped within the restricted air inside a cover, the evaporated moisture will condense as temperature drops again, forming a film over all surfaces, including inside housings like the controller or switches. By airing from time to time with the cover off in dry conditions, any condensed moisture films get the chance to evaporate in free air and disperse. This also guards against corrosion.