Bike failing to turn on

Jim clayton

Just Joined
Dec 23, 2018
My Eco expedition fails to turn on and illuminate the display unit. Tha battery is fully charged. Occasionally the display flashes when switched on but goes off immediately. Any ideas gratefully accepted

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have yo physically measured the battery output with a meter ?
Bad battery terminal contact ?
Faulty battery switch or faulty display ?

Lee1st

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2018
If my wife doesn’t use her Kalkhoff for a week or so, the handlebar button doesn’t wake the bike and I have to press the on/off on the battery itself. From that point the handlebar button then operates fine. I believe it to be a “sleep” mode or similar? Could it be something like that?

Reactions: Nealh

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
My Eco expedition fails to turn on and illuminate the display unit. Tha battery is fully charged. Occasionally the display flashes when switched on but goes off immediately. Any ideas gratefully accepted
You do need to measure the voltage of the battery carefully as someone has already pointed out. It sounds as though the battery is "over" discharged to me personally, but no guarantee!
Because if a Li-ion battery goes below a certain level of voltage, it blocks the charger on safety grounds, but the charger may indicate that the battery is full, generally a green LED (that is red while charging!).
So just looking at the LED when its green, does not indicate the state of the battery.....it could be in either state, fully charged, or over discharged!
A 36 volt battery, fully charged, should be at 42 volts.
But if a 36 volt battery goes below aproximately 28 volts, it will not charge with the normal charger anymore.
There are what some call "0 Volt Chargers", that will "recover" the empty battery with a much lower charging amps than usual, in my experience usually around 500 mA, till above 28 volts is achieved!!
These special chargers are a bit "thin on the ground" and of course need to have a connector compatible with your charging socket.....as well as compatible voltage wise of course, as not all batteries are 36 volts!!
All the details I have posted are ONLY for 36 volt batteries!
If I can help further, just ask.

regards

Andy