Bike for a heavier (300lb+) user

ukwizard

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2019
With most bikes aimed at what I would call the 'mass market', can anyone recommend a bike that would be suitable for a heavier rider like me (approx 320lbs).

I plan to use the bike for mainly local rides and like the idea of having assistance up the hills, but of course, realise as a heavier payload ill have an impact on the performance.

Hopefully, someone has made a bike that can carry a heavier rider and still make it up a hill!

Thanks

Reactions: LeighPing

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Maybe an entry level full suspension mountain bike with air adjustable suspension for your weight with a powerful crank drive motor and a 500Wh battery and hydraulic disk brakes.

The full suspension adjustable for your weight will help protect both the front and rear wheels from damage.

A powerful crank drive motor will be great getting up steep hills.

A 500Wh battery will allow you to use higher assist levels without using up your battery too quickly.

Hydraulic disc brakes provide powerful and reliable stopping power

Maybe something like this

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer/Full-Suspension-eBikes/Haibike-sDuro-FullSeven-3.0-2019?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Find a good dealer and go for test rides on bikes you like.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

ukwizard

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks, that one is definitely outside my price bracket (i.e. id never get my wife to agree to spend that much on a bike) but its definitely interesting to see what is available, would it be likely to say that tech will filter down so in a couple of years it will be on mid price (2-3k) bikes?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
don't worry too much about your weight.
How tall are you?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks, that one is definitely outside my price bracket (i.e. id never get my wife to agree to spend that much on a bike) but its definitely interesting to see what is available, would it be likely to say that tech will filter down so in a couple of years it will be on mid price (2-3k) bikes?
well i bought my bike off ebay for £3500 with 160 miles on it and the rrp at the time was £5500+350 for the dropper post that was fitted.

haibike are a top end brand so ur paying extra for this but you can get the same spec parts on a cube ebike for a lot less money esp if it was last years model.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you would be more comfortable on a step through Dutch style e-bike like a Raleigh low step Motus or a Woosh Big Bear LS.

• Informative

ukwizard

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks, I did look at the woosh bikes but the website seemed to indicate a 18 stone / 250lb weight limit for the user, more than most but still not up in the 300lb range.

Apart from that I liked the look of the big bear and the spec seemed very good at the price point, I just need to lose some weight before I can use it. The irony is I have a cheap and nasty regular bike and I have no idea what it was rated as, but when spending more on an elec to help with the hills (more like long slopes around here) I'm looking into it so much more before parting with my cash.

Just to add, I walk about 15k steps a day with my dogs so i'm not unfit generally, I just eat far too much!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you want to do any off road stuff then you will need axles front and rear esp cos of the waight.
1555176244477.png

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Soundwave is right. Do you want to ride the bike off road?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you dongle it it will go 30mph tho you will half the batt range just make sure the frame size fits you ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you dongle it it will go 30mph tho you will half the batt range just make sure the frame size fits you ;)
no he won't make it to 30mph, even if he changes the chainring to a larger one. That's bike is fitted with a 70NM motor (Yamaha PW SE).
I ride a 14kg bike fitted with a 100NM motor, skinny tyres, I can't even make it to 30mph with my 11st-12st weight.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no he won't make it to 30mph, even if he changes the chainring to a larger one. That's bike is fitted with a 70NM motor (Yamaha PW SE).
I ride a 14kg bike fitted with a 100NM motor, skinny tyres, I can't even make it to 30mph with my 11st-12st weight.
DSC_0448.JPG
im 83kg and have 63nm motor and 20.9kg bike.:p
DSC_0046_02.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have to spin the cranks at 120rpm for max power so cant avg that tho prob more near 26mph if i put effort in but the wind is what slows me down the most esp over 30mph fkn good work out tho on a 10 mile loop.