Bike for a petite lady

Louis.Dobson

Just Joined
Sep 26, 2019
My five foot two inch wife would like a pedelec as a car alternative. We hired a pair of Mondrake Primes, she's fine with hers but she doesn't like the off-road stuff so it seems a bit daft to spend that much. I think hydraulic brakes are a must. We live in a very hilly bit of Portugal.

On the style front, it's not an issue. MTB style, Dutch style, so long as it goes up hills, doesn't need much maintenance (I know who'll be doing that, and I have a load of motorbikes to work on) and is easy to ride, we're good.

I'm half thinking Rad Bike, but it's probably technically illegal here. Not a big deal, but it's a factor.

I'll probably get a proper EMTB later myself.

Ideas?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You may like to hear that Juicy and Neomouv bikes are made in Portugal.

5 ft 2 inches may limit a rider to 26" wheels or even smaller.
In general smaller wheels will climb steeper hills however larger wheels provide better range and are more comfortable.

Really only a test ride will confirm. What works for one 5'2" rider is unlikely to be the case for another.

There are many electric bike shops in Portugal, they know their stuff and you'll get excellent advice.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
On the style front, it's not an issue. MTB style, Dutch style, so long as it goes up hills, doesn't need much maintenance (I know who'll be doing that, and I have a load of motorbikes to work on) and is easy to ride, we're good.
Woosh Santana CD?

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd

It has 9-speed Deore gears, gear shift sensor, crank drive, throttle, hydraulic brakes, Suntour NEX suspension fork
£1,099 with 15AH battery, Samsung cells. Shipping to Portugal: £75.

with unpluggable throttle:

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Hi, My wife is selling her FreeGo Wren which has a small frame and 24" wheels. It's in excellent condition, has a very quiet motor and good battery and at reasonable price.
If you are interested and let me have your email address I'd be happy to send some photo's.

Cyclewalkbob

Just Joined
Oct 2, 2019
Bianchi do a 47cm frame in their Polini motor Impulso and emotion Aria range. These are about the smallest sizes in the road bikes I have found. My wife who is 5’1” on a good day is looking at the Impulso,the rest as I can see are for 5’3” and upwards at best

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Bianchi do a 47cm frame in their Polini motor Impulso and emotion Aria range. These are about the smallest sizes in the road bikes I have found. My wife who is 5’1” on a good day is looking at the Impulso,the rest as I can see are for 5’3” and upwards at best
The FreeGo Wren frame is 17" which is 43.18 cm

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
And if you didn't see Peter's advert:

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Must add that I have been riding my lovely Juicy bike for a couple of years now, I am 5 foot 3 inches and I still absolutely adore the bike. It has been very reliable and gets up the local Lancashire hills very easily. I can't recommend it enough. Give Bob Wales a call, he is the UK owner of Juicy Bikes and is very helpful. Here is the web site: Juicy Bikes
IMG_20160913_121059438_HDR.jpg

Reactions: JuicyBike and Tarka