Bike for comfort

crizzy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2018
UK
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for what type of bike might be best for me.

I'm looking to commute 5 miles each way on main roads, it's quite a hilly route with some big climbs.

I'm looking for something that would be comfortable, I have a road bike and find it pretty brutal to ride over some roads and quite jarring. I don't know if I had something with suspension if it would be a more pleasant experience?

Budget is up to about £2000. I've considered the Cube HPA Acid 400 and putting some road tyres on it? Or would there be something more suitable? I don't need a rack as I travel light with my rucksack.

Cheers all :)

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Not sure if it will help, as I think this stuff is more subtle/personal than you might expect - but here is what I have noticed

My main commuter bike is now a fully rigid, lightweight steel frame MTB with rear hub conversion - its pretty brutal as you say, especially on the worse roads here abouts. The riding position is fairly aggressive (but not roadie aggressive) so mostly I ride out of the saddle on the worse bits and get 50:50 weight distribution - I really like the feel of a lightweight rigid frame, its sprightly and agile - it makes the commute fun - for me

I used to have a long term loan Merida Hybrid ebike with front suspension. Riding position was more upright, on a gentle run it was probably more "comfy" but the alloy frame was dead, no life in it at all. Add in bad surfaces or pressing on to make my commute more of a workout - and it worked much less well for me. The upright riding position meant maybe 70:30 weight distribution and it was harder to ride out of the saddle. So I got bashed up the butt a lot more. The front forks softened the impacts a bit but reduced my accuracy/manoeuvrability, so I hit more potholes. They also reduced my climbing efficiency - but I guess lock out forks would sort that

Lightweight, fully rigid steel bike as a commuter isnt an obvious choice for urban commuting, but it suits me really well

D

Deleted member 4366

The Woosh Big Bear LS is like riding an armchair. You just watch the world pass by when you're on it. It's the most comfortable electric bike I've ever ridden, and I've ridden lots.

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
Depending on the climbs I can recommend mine, especially if you live near a Decathlon. When you factor in the tyre upgrade the cost is the same as the Big Bear LS.

crizzy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2018
UK
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The big bear is a good shout, I'll have a look. Popping down to 50cycles on the weekend to see if there is anything that might be suitable.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I don't have the experience of others here, but I do find my full suspension quite amazingly good at mopping up the bumps. Aside all the other bumps, there is a place on my route where I have to go straight over the kerb onto the road - a high kerb, a moderately steep slope. Every day I expect a horrible thump - but it never comes.

(Yes - under £2000. Just.)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Hi Crizzy,

The Acid Hybrid is a popular choice for commuters due to the new Bosch Active Line system. We have these bikes on a pre-order with Cube and they are expected into stock shortly.

Our other customers that have pre-ordered these bikes have opted to use the Schwalbe Big Apple tyres with them.

Let us know if you have any questions on these bikes, or if you would like to explore any other options, or book a test ride and we will be happy to help!

Luke

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If you want comfort and low running cost, go for hardtail with big tyres (run at min air pressure you have motor, rolling resistance isn't an issue).
Quality suspension seatpost eg suntour NCX, thudbuster, rack with panniers you need to lose that backpack.

As for middrive or hubdrive debate a test ride will decide for you. Same goes for frame styles eg City step through, hybrid or MTB.