Bike for the Larger Rider?

BeefcakeTony

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2014
Hi All,

I've been looking into Electric bikes for the Larger folkes. and have had 2 options recomended.

The Kaulkoff Agattu XL and Whoosh big bear..

the Kaulkoff is over double the price so does anybody think its worth the extra money??

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Agattu series bikes have larger battery capacity (17AH against 15AH), better brakes, shocks, forks, gears and tyres, the Big Bear has better seat post.Torque-wise, I expect the Big Bear to be slightly better on flat roads and the Agattu better on hills.
Good components cost more, both excellent value for money and are equally good buys.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's a bit like is a BMW worth twice a Skoda?
Both will do. 70mph.
Kallhoff is top gear. Whoosh has excellent value for money reputation both will do the job just don't test ride the K if you can't afford it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Er, what do you mean by larger folks?

If we are talking height, then no worries, but if we are also talking weight then go for the Agattu if you can afford it.

Anyone, say, 20 stone plus is pushing the wheel strength envelope.

Less chance of spokes breaking on the better quality bike.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Big Bear has front BPM hub motor, the suspension fork protects the wheel against excessive stresses. Only rear hub motors have spokes breaking.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
The Wisper bikes are good for the bigger rider we have sold several too larger gentleman and they have been impressed.

If you prefer a torque sensor you could check out Bosch powered bikes where there are many bikes to suit larger gentleman.

My advice try a bike with a rotational sensor like the Wisper as well as crank drives and hub powered bikes with a torque sensor. Bikes with crank drives and torque sensors tend to require you to put more power through the pedal achieve more assistance while a bike with a rotational sensor will put out the same amount of power from the motor in each setting regardless of how hard you pedal.

Best advice is to test several and see what feels best.

Good luck

BeefcakeTony

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2014
as for the wheel strength enverlope, I get your point, A freind who is a real bike nut was sugesting using 40 spoke tandem wheels? to try to get round this problem.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
as for the wheel strength enverlope, I get your point, A freind who is a real bike nut was sugesting using 40 spoke tandem wheels? to try to get round this problem.
The Woosh Big Bear may be too big for you at 5' 7" - others on here have and have ridden them so they might be able to expand on that.

Forty spoke wheels seems overkill unless you are closer to 30 stone than 20.

A reasonable quality 36 or even 32 spoke wheel should do the job.

Ebikes are the same as ordinary bikes in that the more you pay, the better chance you have of getting quality components.

A crank drive bike allows the fitting of branded wheels, so you know what you are getting.

I ask a fair bit of my wheels weight-wise and have had no problems with the Rose in my avatar - Mavics, and the AVE - Alex.

The Kalkhoff you've looked at ought to have similar quality wheels which will do the job.

Whatever you buy, check the frame size and wheel size carefully.

I reckon you are a bit too short for 700c/29er wheels, so look for something with 26".

D

Deleted member 4366

The Big Bear isn't a particularly big bike. It's for big people though. There's more than one way to be big.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Wisper are good bikes for a heavy rider. I am yet to have any spoke problems. A crank drive like the Bosch would also do the job but you should really try both of these as they ride very differently. This is becuase the Wisper has a rotational sensor (same amount of assistance in each mode regardless of how hard you pedal) while Bosch and other crank drives normally have a torque sensor which means the more torque you put through the pedals the greater the electric assistance.