Bike horns

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
After a few recent incidents where going 'ding' just didn't work, I am looking to put a louder device on my bike. Any one use anything or have any experience using a loud horn? Or can anyone recommend one?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm using a cheap one from China which I bought at a LBS.

horn.jpeg

I wanted the double barrelled one but he didn't recommend it, said they break very easily and he also warned me against the bendy one which doesn't get enough air from the bulb to be any use.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AIrZound mega loud 140db, simply prime the ali air tank with a cycle track pump too 100psi.
Used to be only < £15 but now about £12 used to £25 new.
Newer models now only 115db.

Reactions: oriteroom

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Was just looking at the Air Zound, seem a good option but chunky and a bit messy looking. Also looking at Hornit as well, which seemed aggressive and poss too loud, I don't want to scare people, I just want to make them aware of my presence.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With the Zound they jump out of their skins :eek:, sometimes it's the only thing that draws their attention.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
In your initial comment you said going "ding" did not work.

I found the same with the newer style one ding bells but found a remarkable difference when I changed to a traditional "tring tring" bell that works very well.

I think pedestrians do not automatically associate the modern one ding at a time bell with a bike but immediately react to a "tring tring" bell.

Anyway that is what I found. Strange but true

Reactions: Gringo

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Tried zound, too loud for cycle paths and one more thing to have to think about pumping air into before leaving home on a whim. I have a ding bell which I use on quiet paths and with people who aren't on the phone/headphones.

When I get serious about my lighting I might try the b+m electric horn that mounts under the 150 lux headlight. I will keep the manual horn mounted though.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019

I found the same with the newer style one ding bells but found a remarkable difference when I changed to a traditional "tring tring" bell that works very well.

I think pedestrians do not automatically associate the modern one ding at a time bell with a bike but immediately react to a "tring tring" bell.

You know having looked around I may just try a bell (I have one of those trendy C shaped ones that just go 'ding' in a somewhat half-arsed way. Looks nice though) as the cheapest option to begin with.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Why not combine a light with a horn having a decent sound for shared paths ? I purchased one from www.gearbest.com and it`s described as a Bicycle Light with Horn usb rechargeable for £3.75 . Mine is the gold painted one with the horn button in red , there are 4 or 5 on the site .

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales

I have found exactly the same thing. Around half the people I come up behind don't hear one ding. Most however hear if I give two or three dings rapidly in succession. The problem I find is the joggers with ear phones on, they very rarely hear the bell no matter how many times I ding it. Have to resort to a very loud shout of excuse me please.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
You could always shout out `BIKE `when near , I find it usually works if the horn or bell fails to move them .

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Been there done that.
Buzzers and sirens even though they may be loud they don't tell folks a bike is comming like an old fashioned bring bring bell dose.

I've even fitted a 12 volt motorcycle horn, powered off my 7.2v light battery, loud, yes, used close to a pedant and they need to go home to change the underwear. Used from a sensible distance even on a cycle path you can see people react but they start looking towards the nearest road for a motor vehicle.
Only a proper bike bell says, look out there's a bike coming:cool:

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
The proper bike bell coupled with ‘oi! Scuse me!’ Is the route to go I think. You are right, everything else does not announce BIKE.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I usually just have my mp3 player, affixed to the bars, playing a bit of music. With that I rarely need to use the bell or the cheap £6 ebay horn / siren thing that I have. :)

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Decathlon do an impressively loud ‘tring tring’ bell. It comes with a (removable ) ‘I My Bike’ sticker