Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nah, it only shoots blanks...

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I use a Pashley Ding Dong bell. Doesn't always work but it's just such a pleasant, friendly sound, always raises a smile. EXCUSE MEE is always a back up but even that doesn't get through to the numpties with headphones.

Reactions: LeighPing

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
After a few recent incidents where going 'ding' just didn't work, I am looking to put a louder device on my bike. Any one use anything or have any experience using a loud horn? Or can anyone recommend one?
Firstly, if I remember correctly, the legal side is that you MUST have a bell, which gives out at least 90 db (from memory about the db's!), but having a second warning system I find good. I use a rear light alarm system, that has a "Beep" function too, that seems to alert people without giving them a heart attack.....
The main problem is often caused by the biker, in that he is simply too fast underway when passing pedestrians, he should slow down and start signalling at least 50 meters before passing pedestrians....and have good insurance!!
I use this one which is cheap and works well:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Tail-Rear-Light-Wireless-Remote-Control-Anti-Theft-Lock-Alarm/163309822106?hash=item260606209a:g:KVgAAOSwzIZbv6wN:rk:1:pf:0
And it fits under the saddle and is hardly noticed. The rear light itself is very bright and has several great functions, not all legal though, as flashing is not legal, but often used! Its a good idea to have two rear lights anyway!!
The alarm is sensitive and will give thieves a heart attack!! But do chain the bike to something immovable, with a quality chain lock as well. The slightest movement will cause it to sound....
Charging via USB cable. Goes for several weeks as an alarm if not using the rear light function.
It as been in use for over a year now, the bike has not been stolen YET!!
Regards
AndyFahrrad Alarm.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Ou-er ‘CARRY A (Plastic) GUN & get yourself TASERED by Police !

No thanks

Jim

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
Firstly, if I remember correctly, the legal side is that you MUST have a bell, which gives out at least 90 db (from memory about the db's!), but having a second warning system I find good. I use a rear light alarm system, that has a "Beep" function too, that seems to alert people without giving them a heart attack.....
The main problem is often caused by the biker, in that he is simply too fast underway when passing pedestrians, he should slow down and start signalling at least 50 meters before passing pedestrians....and have good insurance!!
I use this one which is cheap and works well:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Tail-Rear-Light-Wireless-Remote-Control-Anti-Theft-Lock-Alarm/163309822106?hash=item260606209a:g:KVgAAOSwzIZbv6wN:rk:1:pf:0
And it fits under the saddle and is hardly noticed. The rear light itself is very bright and has several great functions, not all legal though, as flashing is not legal, but often used! Its a good idea to have two rear lights anyway!!
The alarm is sensitive and will give thieves a heart attack!! But do chain the bike to something immovable, with a quality chain lock as well. The slightest movement will cause it to sound....
Charging via USB cable. Goes for several weeks as an alarm if not using the rear light function.
It as been in use for over a year now, the bike has not been stolen YET!!
Regards
AndyView attachment 28895
There is no legal requirement to have a warning device on a bicycle.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Perculiar law. A new bike must be fitted with a bell by law when it leaves the shop but there is no legal requirement for a bike to have a bell when in use.

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
One option not mentioned so far are the bike alarm/rear lights which often have an additional cycle horn option.... No idea the volume etc but thought it worth a mention