Bike insurance revisited

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
I have already thought of secure places Ie at work or when elsewhere but you cannot help but think that if you have been targeted bad things will happen.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my m8 has insurance so if comes of bike and cant work they will pay his wage tho not sure what he pays for that, prob not cheap at all.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Does home insurance offer 3rd party cover/liability?
I've just added my bike to our home contents insurance for an additional premium of about £9 for all risks away from the home with £100 excess as a specified item. I doubt the above home insurance policy will provide any public liability insurance re the bike - this is normally related to buildings insurance eg should a tile blow off a roof.....

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've just added my bike to our home contents insurance for an additional premium of about £9 for all risks away from the home with £100 excess as a specified item. I doubt the above home insurance policy will provide any public liability insurance re the bike - this is normally related to buildings insurance eg should a tile blow off a roof.....
I specifically asked that and they said yes.
Some years ago someone was excersizing a great dane off the lead and it ran across the road and jumped on my car causing £2000 of damage (monster dog was unhurt).
At first she claimed that a passer by had opened her gate and let it out so not her fault, but my insurance put a claim in to her house insurance and they coughed up without argument.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
My John Lewis insurance says they don't cover 'motorised' pedal cycles. which I guess is an electric bike. Strange because they sell E-bikes but won't cover them. I will have to go elsewhere next renewal

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just checking the small print on my policy.. seems clear enough!
Your insurer will not pay for:
The excess in respect of each and every incident of loss or damage as set out in the Schedule of Insurance; Loss or damage to vehicles and other means of transport that are mechanically propelled or assisted, whether licensed for road use or not, or their parts or accessories (other than domestic gardening equipment, mobility carriages, electric wheelchairs and electrically assisted pedal cycles that are not required to be licensed if used on a public road);

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
I'm hunting for insurance now as my home insurers, Aviva, won't cover pedal bikes with motors. Quotes I've had for 2 bikes are around £300 per annum.

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
my home insurance added my bike for £35 a year home & away cover, im with HomeProtect

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I insured with Policy Expert - about £120 for buildings, contents and one bike valued at £600.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
As an update.. also includes accidental damage.
All that's required to make a claim is an original proof of value (receipt ) and must be less than 3 years old to get full replacement cost.
Bradford and Bingley home insurance
I've just contacted Bradford and Bingley and they told me they don't cover Electric Bikes. Don't know if that's a policy change or I sometimes suspect they don't know and just give a negative. Any other home insurances do cover? My Home insurance is up for renewal and it would be good to cover my two Bikes on the same policy.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've just contacted Bradford and Bingley and they told me they don't cover Electric Bikes. Don't know if that's a policy change or I sometimes suspect they don't know and just give a negative. Any other home insurances do cover? My Home insurance is up for renewal and it would be good to cover my two Bikes on the same policy.
How Strange!! When I pressed them to be sure, the lady put me on hold to check with the underwriters.. I need to ring them anyway as I spotted a minor error on the policy so will re-visit that one..

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I took home content insurance from the AA online, and could add explicitly an electric bike as a high value item. Their policy mentions that motorised vehicles won't be covered, but my specific policy I received does say that the bike I mentioned/added will be covered at home (if stored in a locked location) and away (if locked).