Bike insurance revisited

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
I took home content insurance from the AA online, and could add explicitly an electric bike as a high value item. Their policy mentions that motorised vehicles won't be covered, but my specific policy I received does say that the bike I mentioned/added will be covered at home (if stored in a locked location) and away (if locked).
That is interesting. I have come across online quotes that let you add in specific bikes but said no motorised vehicles elswhere and invariably when I have rung them they have said no to Electric bikes. Will give AA a ring, cheers.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have mine included with Saga, no additional fees.

Reactions: shambolic

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've just contacted Bradford and Bingley and they told me they don't cover Electric Bikes. Don't know if that's a policy change or I sometimes suspect they don't know and just give a negative. Any other home insurances do cover? My Home insurance is up for renewal and it would be good to cover my two Bikes on the same policy.
Phoned B&B and queried my policy regarding the bikes.. After a short conference the operator returned with..
If the bike is a bicycle with electric assistance on hills but only whilst pedalling then its classed as a bicycle and is covered, but if it has a throttle and can be driven like a motorcycle without pedaling then its not.

Reactions: shambolic

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
I'm with directline. I called them last night and they said no problems adding an electric bike to my existing policy.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Well that's solved for the time being, somebody stole my bike last night :( Phoned the Police who said as there are no CCTV pictures they will just close the case. Which is a shame because it is an A2B Metro, not seen in these parts apart from mine and once the batterys runs out it will be of little use to them, quite likely being dumped somewhere, but the Police won't inform me if it is found as the case is closed.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Well that's solved for the time being, somebody stole my bike last night :( Phoned the Police who said as there are no CCTV pictures they will just close the case. Which is a shame because it is an A2B Metro, not seen in these parts apart from mine and once the batterys runs out it will be of little use to them, quite likely being dumped somewhere, but the Police won't inform me if it is found as the case is closed.
Bummer. I'm sure we'll all look out for it, if you give us more specific bike details..!

Last edited:

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Will do. Am looking for a suitable replacement at present as I can't walk far and am rather grounded without my bike.

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
It's strange... B&B quote me at 11£ a month for a contents home insurance which also covers an ebike and that is less than most bicycle insurances for a bike that costs around 2500£.

How can that be? I'd be mad not to go with them

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I took home content insurance from the AA online, and could add explicitly an electric bike as a high value item.
Well, I will surely no longer recommend the AA home content insurance, as renewal is due now, and they have bumped the premium by about 30%, without any reasons (no claims made, same property).

Typical scam of bumping prices when automatic renewal is due.

I am going for Bradford and Bingley instead, which is actually cheaper than the original AA price, explicitly covers electric assisted bikes (when those are added to high value items in the policy), and includes home assistance/emergency home repairs pretty much for free...

Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well, I will surely no longer recommend the AA home content insurance, as renewal is due now, and they have bumped the premium by about 30%, without any reasons (no claims made, same property).

I am going for Bradford and Bingley instead, which is actually cheaper than the original AA price, explicitly covers electric assisted bikes (when those are added to high value items in the policy), and includes home assistance/emergency home repairs pretty much for free...
You have just reminded me to add new bike to policy.
Ta!!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

Sounds like their vehicle recovery policies as well. We have been with them for 27 years, and for roughly the last five years, have had to telephone them to re negotiate the quotation. Every year I threaten to go else where, and every year they knock about £70.00 off the renewal cost. The days of looking after existing customers, has long gone.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sounds like their vehicle recovery policies as well. We have been with them for 27 years, and for roughly the last five years, have had to telephone them to re negotiate the quotation. Every year I threaten to go else where, and every year they knock about £70.00 off the renewal cost. The days of looking after existing customers, has long gone.
I pull the poor pensioner card out when negotiating ... seems to help!