Bike is due for replacement (again). Best commuter for £1,000

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Im hoping prices have dropped since I got my last bike.

Looking for a daily commuter. Needs to have mudguards and lights and a rack on the back. Ideally want puncture proof tyres but I can add these myself after if needed.

Pedal assist is fine. Not bothered about the throttle (takes the fun out of cycling if you ask me).

My daily commute is 26 miles in total. Fairly flat. No hills of note (unless I take a diversion)

Will be using throughout the winter so need to have some spare capacity to handle the colder weather.

I weigh 65kg so don't need a bike for heavy riders. I'm 5" 11 in height.

Looking for a full size bike. Tried a folder before and didn't use it as much as I'd hoped.

Looking to buy this month. I hate paying RRP so looking for something on sale or whatever gives the most bang for my bucks.

£1,000 Inc Vat is my absolute limit. Payment will be made via credit card for the full amount.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't think you'll find a price drop.
The prospect of Brexit has caused the Pound to drop to currently 7 year low.
For your diistance, height and weight, I would suggest the Woosh Karoo.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo
You still need to replace the Karoo's kevlar tyres with puncture proof Schwalbe Marathon Plus though.

Reactions: Leccy

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks Trex. I like this bike quite a lot.

Notice the price has gone up by £50 this month. Have emailed them to see if they'll offer it at the pre-increase rate. If so I'll go for this.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
They don't have the 15aH battery in stock.

Only the 13aH one. Will this be sufficient? What realistic range will I get on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
with a 13AH battery: between 50 miles to 75 miles.
The Karoo is rather economical on battery with fast rolling tyres.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
On the flat yes a 13 Ah battery will be fine for 41 km, it should do 62 km with you providing very little effort.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
41km is 25 miles.

That's half the lower band than the 50 miles mentioned above. Which is right?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
13AH = 36 * 13WH = 458WH
The Karoo will use less than 10WH per mile because of fast rolling tyres, you'll get more than 46 miles.
EddiePJ got 76 miles out of his Karoo's battery but he's a strong pedaller. I got about 50 miles, I am not a strong pedaller.

Reactions: EddiePJ and Leccy

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks. I really like the bike. One last question. Is the lcd screen removable?

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks. Do you know what size it takes? Might as well get them ordered. Is the waterproofed.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
41km is 25 miles.

That's half the lower band than the 50 miles mentioned above. Which is right?
I was giving the "no effort applied by the rider" distance, I get 72 km from a 10.4 Ah battery if I don't pedal I get over 40 km.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
LCDs are not prone to theft as they have no value, you can't do much with one. If they are removed it is pure vandalism .

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Ok.

I'll be replacing the tyres with Schwalbe Marathons. Woosh have given me a price to do that. Hopefully that won't reduce my range too much.

All looks good to place the order this week.

Unless anybody has a last minute recommendation of something better.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Came so close to placing an order today but the lcd screen has me worried. Where I park at work is not sheltered so I'm worried it will get wet/damaged.

Shame it's not removable.

Anyone know of a similar bike that has a removable lcd?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Wet is not a problem most of them are potted. Damaged from vandals?

None of the Chinese LCDs are removable to my knowledge.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
The display is subject to water damage.

If it was removable I'd take it indoors if it was raining outside.

Will still buy this if nothing better comes along as it seems the best fit for me.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I have got the same LCD on my Woosh bike. I have never given a thought to water damage, it seems perfectly waterproof. Nobody would want to steal it, it's not valuable, probably only worth a few quid! What does bother me is the throttle and also the brake lever switches, where water could possibly seep in. I made up a handlebar cover out of bubble-wrap. Just the job when it rains. In two years of riding i have had just one problem with rain. Water had entered the rear brake cable and rusted it solid to the outer. Had to renew the cable.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The display is subject to water damage.

If it was removable I'd take it indoors if it was raining outside.

Will still buy this if nothing better comes along as it seems the best fit for me.
It wouldn't bother me for general riding...... but if likely to rain when left outside all day at work, i would just put a small plastic bag over the display, held on with an elastic band.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Cool. Was going to place my order today but they were too busy to send out a quote.

I'm working away for a couple of days so will probably be next week before I place my order (unless I see something else in the meantime lol).