Bike Lock Recommendations

Jneal87

Just Joined
Jun 12, 2021
Hi All,

I am looking to start to commute to work on my Woosh Ebike when it arrives next week and wanted some recommendations on bike locks offering the most secure option possible.

I'm torn between the Kryptonite New York Mini or the new Hiplok D1000 that is currently on kickstarter (only issue with this is it won't be available for anoher 4-5 months). I am open to other recommendations though based on user experience.

I already have a standard Kryptonite lock with cable but wanted something a bit more secure. The bike will be left in a bike shelter that serve our office premises only and is gated. Additionally it has CCTV and directly opposite the smoking shelter and car park so hoping this, in itself, would deter any theives!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One would think the bike shelter may be more secure then most that folks use, just use two good locks to secure each wheel. It sounds unlikely that just anyone can gain entry. No matter which lock a determined/ tooled up thief would be through any lock in no time.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi All,

I am looking to start to commute to work on my Woosh Ebike when it arrives next week and wanted some recommendations on bike locks offering the most secure option possible.

I'm torn between the Kryptonite New York Mini or the new Hiplok D1000 that is currently on kickstarter (only issue with this is it won't be available for anoher 4-5 months). I am open to other recommendations though based on user experience.

I already have a standard Kryptonite lock with cable but wanted something a bit more secure. The bike will be left in a bike shelter that serve our office premises only and is gated. Additionally it has CCTV and directly opposite the smoking shelter and car park so hoping this, in itself, would deter any theives!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Few locks are safe when approached with a Battery powered cutting disk. And nobody takes any notice of the noise nowadays ....
1) But I agree that two locks are best/minimal.
2) plus a sensitive bike alarm, and you are within listening range, but it might scare off some thieves, or at least make them need to change their underwear!
3) And a GPS Tracker, set up to give you warning, when a vibration is noticed and hopefully you are not too far away.....Nowadays there are some god bike trackers and cheap apps for many mobile phones. One on ebay is a rear bike light:
They are all available on the UK ebay web site too.
Best wishes
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oxford sell the D lock pro, the 16mm steel should resist bolt croppers but like most won't stop a disc cutter for more then 60secs, It does though have an in built 120db tamper alarm. Other possible's are; oneguard brute ls8000, the newyork has been mentioned and two abus models. The granite x plus 540 or granite extreme 59.
All will be a match for any thief without a disc cutter.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I use a Kryptonite frame lock with plugin chain which takes care of the rear wheel and attaching the bike to a bike rack, post or something, a disc lock alarm on the front wheel and a rear light/alarm

The frame lock is a nice quick and easy lock when just stopping for a rest with the bike in sight, the rest for when it is left out of sight.

I have replaced the quick release for the saddle with a bolt to stop opportunists taking the saddle. I could also add a cable for the saddle but haven’t bothered with that.

Don’t forget the most important one, insurance.

Reactions: Andy-Mat