Bike Locks....

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
So just received my delivery of accessories: pump, gloves, puncture repair kit etc but my biggest purchase of 3 gold sold secure locks.

Maybe I've gone over the top, especially as I have just this week got a pass for secure indoor cycle parking at work but I didn't want to spend my work days worrying about my bike.

I did lots of reading and the best kind of security apparently is to have at least 2 different types of bike locks (ie. D lock and chain lock) and ideally different makes as then it will mean the potential thief needs a variety of tools to cut through.

Here are the three locks I've bought...

image.jpg

I will be keeping the chain lock at work (too heavy to carry around) but the other two I can easily attach to my bike, especially the Abus Bordo Granit one which attaches easily to the frame.

image.jpg

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You are thinking along the right lines.

The locks plus the secure area at work ought to give you peace of mind during the day.

Security at some workplace secure parks can be compromised by other users, but if that happens your locks will likely keep the bike safe.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Reactions: Perseus

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
D locks are the only choice for me having lost 2 Scott bikes last year to scrotes cutting through cables. Gold secure kryptonite.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I would get a refund for the granit one, great idea and stuff but when tested it wasn't upto scratch.

http://road.cc/content/review/16663-abus-bordo-granit-x-plus-link-lock

I have 2 of these and a cable I sometimes loop around a wheel if I'm using just 1. Decathlon don't give a full model number but they are abus 401s. Small enough you won't get them with any sort of leverage type attacks so only vunerable to angle grinders and saws which if a thief is bringing them it's going to be little issue the time change between cutting this lock and a fagh kryptonite.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mini-abus-u-lock-bike-lock-yellow-id_8203082.html

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi KellyBear I know that you are playing it very safe, but try not to get too carried away by stocking up with plenty of bike accessories. If that's the case try not to leave out the stock of BMS's.;) if you really want to play it safe.

MS.

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
My ezee came with an axa bike lock, it's the first time I've come across these locks, it's a really good idea, I'm impressed with it, they'd have to be pretty determined to take my bike with that locked on the rear wheel! Lol.

I use a D lock as well.

Pea

Reactions: SteveRuss

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
What's bms's? :)
Good afternoon KellyBear sorry for being silly, but the abbreviation BMS means BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. This clever device (if of quality make ), helps to maintain the correct function of each individual battery cell. This device is fitted/connected on to the battery itself.
I hope you understand know.:) xxxxxxxxxx

MS.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Good afternoon KellyBear sorry for being silly, but the abbreviation BMS means BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. This clever device (if of quality make ), helps to maintain the correct function of each individual battery cell. This device is fitted/connected on to the battery itself.
I hope you understand know.:) xxxxxxxxxx

MS.
This is my face right now: :eek: I've literally no idea.

Love the trailer… i will sooooo not be carrying my 6kg chain like that.

Just locked it up in the cycle room ready for my 1st commute on Tuesday. :D

Reactions: peerjay56

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Makes sense to leave the chain and lock at 'your' parking spot in the secure area at work.

Leaving locks in public can be a tiny bit risky because a thief can work on how to breach it while you are not there, making stealing the bike faster when you leave it.

That's most unlikely to happen with the secure area.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
are you going to do the full 28 miles next Tuesday?

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
Well it's 12 miles each way, I know I can easily do the 12 there and after a hours sitting around at work I reckon I will be able to do it back. I know it's going to be hard (especially first few times) but I want to just go for it.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Well it's 12 miles each way, I know I can easily do the 12 there and after a hours sitting around at work I reckon I will be able to do it back. I know it's going to be hard (especially first few times) but I want to just go for it.
Plus cake without guilt!:)