Bike Locks....

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
I eat lots of cake at work, I work in a big office so there is a continuous stream of birthdays, pregnancies, weddings, any other celebration - resulting in cake pretty much everyday. Yesterday for instance there was 4 different cakes on the go throughout the day.

And then there's the daily biscuits and sweets which people bring in, along with pub lunches, wine Fridays.... I will defiantly feel less guilty if I've cycled in haha!!!

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
D locks are the only choice for me having lost 2 Scott bikes last year to scrotes cutting through cables. Gold secure kryptonite.
My gold secure D-lock won't fit properly on my ebike. With a bit of a struggle I can fix it in a way that a thief could take off the back wheel with lock. I like to fix it to something really. Bought a heavy chain lock, but it it is too heavy for casual use. Now noticing that their is a shortage of attachment points, assuming chestnut fencing is inadequate.

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I use a Hiplok Gold, (Evans Cycles) a brilliant idea, you carry the chain around your waist while riding and you really don't know it's there after a while. I spent a lot of money on my Bike and i really want to keep hold of it, i do realise that if someone was really determined no lock would be safe, however it is a great deterrent, along with the rear wheel lock fitted as standard to my Scott esub

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I find secure places to fasten a cycle and lock a strong disincentive ot buyng expensive bikes of any sort. Wooden gates are OK for cheap bikes.

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
I have a hiplock as well but I find it too small. Can only lock one side.
I have pre-ordered the litelok as well. Hope it lives up to it's reputation

Reactions: Perseus

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
Finally DHL will be bringing me my liteloks next week! About 1 year later and 2 bikes now instead of one to lock but thankfully they managed to add an extra one after a late order...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Yes it can, with practice you can do it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It cannot be this easy!
It depends on the model these are an older generation lock IIRC. I tried and can't open mine (which I bought after seeing this video).

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
Received my liteloks today. They look very good indeed. If you buy one its not going to work on its own. You will definitely need the double pack either to use it as an enlarged circle or locking the bike in 2 places.

clintyboy12

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 25, 2016
Received my liteloks today. They look very good indeed. If you buy one its not going to work on its own. You will definitely need the double pack either to use it as an enlarged circle or locking the bike in 2 places.
I think as stated in a previous post, as well as by a colleague you want to have 2 locks but of different materials so that it will mean a dirty thieving burglarising bast*rd would need more than 1 tool to be able to break.
Just got myself a hiplok lite and already have another meshed lock but thinking about getting a D lock as well! Good job I've got an electric motor otherwise I'd need a car to be able to carry all these locks! ;-)

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
So now for both bikes I have 3 liteloks one hiplock and one kryptonite 15mm chain. I'll probably be using the chain for work or home locking as they are quite heavy

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I like the Litelok from what I have seen on their promotional videos but I couldn't quite grasp the bit about resistance to a cordless grinder/cutter. Surely a cutting disc would sever it fairly quickly?

Certainly, the product would probably deter all but the most determined bike thief.

Any further feedback from the early adopters?

Tom

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I used to leave my bike in the middle of London so bought the required heavy duty D lock, at one time or another I think everything removable got pinched but never the whole bike. :)
Anyway the problem I found was carrying the heavy lock for thousands of miles meant it caused damage to whatever it was attached to, foam attached to whatever metal it rests on is a good idea.
Oh, don't put your faith in big brands, heavy locks or industry standards (sold secure etc.), none of it can be relied upon. Do plenty of research for yourself.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if they have angle grinders then it will be gone no matter what lock you buy.

• Agree
Reactions: SRS